Friday, May 16, 2014

Schools Out For Summer

Another easy 6 miler on Wednesday to see how the groin was coming along.
If I'd been tentative on Tuesday I was a little less skittish on Wednesday although caution is still the watch word,I need to ease my way back into the full swing of things,I'm not "letting the clutch out" on the downhills or working the uphills either like I usually do but there will be time for that as I get futher away from the injury.
Despite felling like I was running slow I clocked a 62 minute for the 6 miler,back in late March I clocked a 64 min time so based on that evidence I'm at least stronger and faster than I was eight weeks ago, at this stage I'll take any positives I can find.

One similarity on both my 6 milers was the grid lock in and around Upenn's campus, based on the evidence of passing Franklin Field and the area just behind the stadium graduation must be this coming Monday for the class of 14 meanwhile the returning freshman,sophmore and junior classes are moving out of their dorm rooms on campus and frat houses and campus apartments on Cedar Ave.
I never got to experience college,frankly I wasn't the academic type and the thought of higher education after my senior year in 80 didn't do anything for me but in the 27 years I've now  lived here in America I've often pondered the "what if" game.
What If  I 'd grown up here in America and had the same athletic ability that I had in high school back home in South East London? would I have been good enough to get on a college track team? could I have had a college career?
Obviously if I could've had my say in that I would;ve wanted to go to Villanova as a middler distance runnner,graduating high school in the summer of 1980  would've meant I would've been in the final group of athletes the late great Jumbo Elliot recruited along w/ Marcus O Sullivan......like I said it's wishful thinking on my part,there's no way of knowing if I'd have been good enough for Villanove much less if I had the grades or the money to attend but somedays when I'm out there putting the miles in it's fun to ponder the "what if" game

No comments: