Friday, May 2, 2014

After The Levee Brakes

Needless to say there was no run on Wednesday,I'm not sure what the official rain total was in Philly for Wednesday but I heard 4.94 inches in New York City so my guess Philly couldn't have been too far behind that.
One drawback of not running on Wednesday was my monthly milage total stayed at 160 miles and not 168,even at 160 miles of a possible 174 miles on offer it was my most prolific month to date outshining the 152 miles I logged in March,it's no wonder my performances in training have improved over the past two months w/ 152 and 160 miles logged.....it's a far cry from the 118 and 76 I managed in January and Feburary and w/ my outdoor season about to get underway in 2 weeks time let's see if the extra mileage will translate into better times on the track as the all important 800m and 1,500m races in my build up to Outdoor Nationals kick off on May 15th,we're eleven weeks away from Wake Forest and Outdoor Nationals now,the clock is very much ticking.

Easy 8 miler on tap my biggest concern was the Schuylkill Banks,I'd heard the Schuylkill river had breached it's banks on Wednesday so I wasn't sure what to expect as I came off the footbridge from Markward Playground onto the beginning of the Schuylkill Banks.
There was some yellow caution tape across the path which would indicate that at some point the Banks were very much under water and off limits but I saw runners ahead of me in both directions so I figured it was ok to keep running.
There were parts of the path that were covered in mud which not only meant to exercise a little caution but also meant that even on May 1st it's never too early to prepare for cross country season!!!

Following rain of almost biblical preportions on Wednesday it was kind of weird to experience 78 degree temps today but I wasn't complaining,it may be time to bust out the sleeveless running shirts now as both my bandana and dri fit shirt were suitably drenched in sweat by the time I completed my run and my shoes bore the mud of the Schuylkill Banks which"made me feel bad trying to find my way home".........

No comments: