Wednesday, July 2, 2014

In The Heat Of The Night

I figured once I made my way past the massed ranks of the worlds media who'd descended on Carey Stadium in Fort Washington to witness this event of biblical perportion a Philadelphia track meet by yours truly I'd be ok,local news ABC,NBC,CBS,CNN the BBC I swear I even saw an Al Jazerra news crew there wow this shit has gone global.........................................and clearly too much time out in the heat has made me delirious some people see mirages in the heat I see news crews...................

OK so I'm taking the piss nobody gives a shit if I run in Philly but you know me I like to have fun at least till the gun goes off then it's time to get down to business and last nites business was a mile.
As I mentioned in yesterdays blog I was quite pleased to to have a mile on the schedule for once,I've ran  two 1,500s already w/ two more on tap Nationals and the final Tuesday Nite Speed two days later so why not kick it old school for a change?
It had been a hot one all day by the time I arrived at the Germantown Academy track around 5.30pm I figured the mile would go off around 6.30pm following the hurdles and the 100m so I bided my time till just after 6pm b4  my warm up and stretches and eventually first call on the mile.

Three heats thanks to a 4.50 seed time I drew the first heat,it's becomming a way of life now that I'm one of the "elder statesmen" in these heats 13 of us most of whom were younger than me,but frankly untill younger guys are tripping over my zimmer frame I aim to be out there at 50 the fact I can still clock a sub 5 minute mile is a credit to my dedication to my craft,sure I'd prefer to be faster my 4.30 days are behind me but there's still life in me yet,it's not the size of the rat in the fight,it's the size of the fight in the rat!!!!!
Drawn 7th of 13 I was in the middle of the starting line as we broke from the gun,given I was hoping for 71 second splits I knew not to go off too quick and settled into 9th down the back straight b4 moving up into 7th on the home straight.
70 seconds at 400m pretty much where I wanted to be pacewise,2.22 at 800m a 72 second split,sure I'd prefered 71-71 but I'll take 70-72.
Lap 3 I was pretty much in nomans land the lead 5 were off in private battle as I made my way upto 6th I still felt comfortable and running w/in myself but when I saw 3.35 at the bell I knew that 73 second split was going to cost me the 4.44 I had hoped for.
While I accept that track can sometimes be a physical battle say in the 800m I don't expect to be bumpped in the final lap of a mile/1,500m around the top turn,while it had little impact on the final outcome of the race I didn't appreciate the lack of an apology post race......trust me I have that dudes # and if he wants my spikes in his leg next time out it won't be a problem to oblige him!!!!
Closed in 72 for a 4.47.44 w/ splits of 70-72-73-72 a little off the 71-71-71-71 4.44 I was hoping for but given the heat and how the race unfolded it was  the best I could do.
4.47 for the mile works out to a 4.29 1,500m probably not good enough for a medal at Nationals right now but here's hoping on the morning of July 20th I can deliver a better performance at least around 9am it won't be as hot as last nites race and my rivals will all be in my age group!!!

No comments: