Wednesday, July 9, 2014

That's All Folks

So after 19 weeks of blood sweat and tears it's all come down to this one final race b4 heading southbound to Winston Salem to Wake Forest next Wednesday for 2014 Masters Nationals.
Not only was last nites race my last race b4 then but also my last workout/run of any kind till I get to Kentner Stadium on the Wake Forest campus next Wednesday.
Remember back in early May when I suffered a pulled/strained groin and I was forced to sit a week out? I came back so much stronger the following week that I decided from here on in every ninth week I'd take a week off well this is the ninth week and since I'm on  my taper anyway I figured why not just run my mile race and then shut it down till next Wednesday?
Frankly if I haven't put the work in now it's too bleeding late to be honing and fine tuning in the final week so the plan was a two mile warm up,mile race,two mile cool down.....and Bob's yer uncle or if your a posh git "Robert is your mothers brother"!!!!

Since travelling to New York for the third Tuesday Nite Speed Series wasn't an option since I couldn't leave work at 1.15pm I opted to return to Ft Washington for the final Germantown Academy meet at Carey Stadium,since change was in the air I also opted for the mile again rather than a final attempt to lower my 800m time,the mile came earlier in the schedule plus I feel the "dye may have been cast" where the 800m at Nationals is concerned.
Arrived at Carey Stadium by 5.30pm,figured the mile would go off around 6.30pm thankfully it had begun to cool off a little but I think they were calling for 95 degrees earlier in the day.....frankly w/ Nationals in North Carolina if a little heat is an issue you probably shouldn't be going in the first place!!

Seeded myself at 4.45 following last weeks 4.47 and earnt the #5 seed in heat 1,I knew the first four young guys would be "off like the proverbial prom dress" so it was a matter of just running my own race and letting the chips land where they may.
Good reacion to the gun managed to get on the rail as the "four horseman" broke clear and found myself in 6th at the top of the back straight b4 moving into 5th.
71 seconds at 400m and from here on in it was going to be me against the clock as I was in no mans land.
2.23 at 800m a 72 second split followed by 3.35 at 1,200m another 72 second split
While it was an even pace I wasn't in a position to be taken out of my comfort zone,had that happened I believe a faster pace/time was there for the taking.
Down the back straight I happened to look up at the running clock atop the scoreboard at the foot of the home straight and saw 4.13 w/ 200m to go and just like in training I dropped a closing 200m in 33 seconds to finish in 4.46.84.

For the number geeks it was splits of 71 72 72 71,even splits of 2.23 2.23 and a second quicker than last weeks 4.47.44.
A 4.46.84 mile comes out at roughly a 4.28 1,500m which means since March 20ths indoor 1,500m I;ve gone:4.32 4.31 4.30 4.29 4.28 and my hopes of running a 71 71 71 53 4.26 1,500m are still very attainable,who knows under the right circumstances on July 20h maybe I can run faster?

2 comments:

David said...

Impressive work! Congrats

kevin f forde said...

Thanks Dave,let's see what I can do next Sunday in the 1,500m final at Nationals