Tuesday, July 29, 2014

After The Gold Rush

Easy 8 miler to kick the week off,the key word was easy as there's a 4x1 mile repeat on tap for tomorrow afternoon.
Ideal conditions,sunny and 83 degrees,in fact the whole weel looks like it'll be very unJuly like which is somewhat of a blessing....of course the Dog Days Of August are probably right around the corner but I'll deal w/ them when the time comes.

Now that I've had a chance to let the dust settle on Nationals and get a week of training under my belt I can look back on what I achived in Winston Salem and look ahead to not just the remainder of this year but hopefully the next twelve months.
My 800m bronze and 1,500m gold represent the rewards for four months of hard work and determination since mid March when thankfully after the winter of our discontent I was finally able to get into a rhythm w/ my training which paid off in spades.
I said all along two podium finishes would be fair return on my investment and frankly I'd have settled on a pair of bronzes but the 1,500m gold still blows my mind a little,on top of which the 4.21.43 which was totally unexpected given I kept believing a 4.26 was probably the best I could hope for.

As of now I have the #1 US and North American ranking for the M50 1,500m but even more gobsmacking the #3 world ranking.....not bad for a guy who began then year w/ only a 4.5751 mile in mid January followed by a 4.32.58 1,500m in mid March.
I had no plan to go to Lyon next August for Worlds,it wasn't even on my radar but that 4.21.43 time changed that,untill I saw my #3 world ranking not only was Lyon not on my radar I didn't even know the dates for Worlds!!!!!
I can now not only tell you the dates August 4th thro August  16th but also the date for the 1,500m prelim Aug 12th and final Aug 14th........ever the Boy Scout I like to "Be Prepared"!!

I'm under no illusion that there's twelve months of hard work ahead of me if I'm going to challenge for a podium place at Worlds but what's life w/out a challenge? I do know if the Three H's are in full effect I've got a fighting chance,stay healthy,stay hungry,stay humble and work my butt off and that 4.21.43 can continue to come down,having lowered my 1,500m time from 4.32.58 to 4.21.43 in four months tells me w/ 12 months blood sweat and tears I can hopefully continue to get faster so that's the pla moving forward.

First things first 5th Avenue Mile followed by 12 weeks of off season as I look to build a firm base of milage b4 heading into the Indoor season,once 5th Avenue Mile is over I'll explain my plans for the off season,an increase in weekly malage plus some sellected cross country races to prepare for Indoor and a return to Winston Salem for Indoor Nationals in mid March.....it's all go eh?

No comments: