Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Behind The Lines

Easy 4 miler to kick off week two of the taper....I should make the most of this downtime w/ my mileage post Nationals it'll be full steam ahead for the Fall Classic aka 5th Avenue Mile b4 then beginning my off season where I'll up my mileage to 50 mpw in prep for next season but rather than get ahead of myself w/ the future lets stick closer to the here and now.

Even w/ the start of my taper last week and a low mileage day yesterday on the eve of a race tonite I still logged 168 miles in June my heaviest month todate this year which may explain why I've been feeling a little dead below the knees the last day or two,for the year sofar I've logged 808 miles this year,it'll be interesting to see my year end tally in six months time.

Tonite is somewhat of a landmark occasion,it's rare to get the chance to race over a mile in the summer as the more traditional 1,500m usually gets ran so I have a chance to post a time on the Masterstrack Rankings page,while it's safe to say Ray Knerr's 4.41.13 is  probably beyond me but I'd settle for second place on the rankings for now,I'm not sure how realistic a 4.44 mile is for me at 71 seconds per lap it may depend on the heat as tonite is being touted as being a hot one plus who else shows up to race.
The other anomaly tonite is the fact I'm racing in my native Philadelphia,take away the 2012 Greater Philadelphia Track Pentathlon which is also held at the Germantown Acadamy track in Fort Washington then the last time I set foot on a track here in Philly was on June 9th 2012 at the Mid Atlantic C'ships at Widener.
It remains to be seen if I'm treated as the Prodigal Son returning home or if I'm as popular as a fart in a phone box.....either way I'm not there to win friends or court the popular vote I'm there to put the finishing touches to my build up for Nationals in two weeks time and run as fast a mile as I can,the rest as they say is just details

No comments: