Monday, July 28, 2014

No Quarter Asked Or Given

Way back when in 07 when I won my first individual National Championship I said I wasn't ready to call time on my season so I ramped up my training and several weekes later won my first 5th Avenue Mile title,a year later following my first 1,500m National Championship title I did likewise to win a second 5th Avenue Mile title........so it should come as no major surprize following last weeks 2nd National Championship over 1,500m that my sights are firmly set on 5th Avenue Mile in seven weeks time.
W/ that in mind I thought it was high time to revist a repeat that helped me in 07 and 08 2x150m,4x400m  and a mile.
I was under no illusion that my splits from 08 would NOT be any help to me now six years later but I would attack the repeats w/ the same vim and vigor and hope for the best.
Keeping in mind that after Saturdays debut at this repeat I still had another six cracks at this bad boy this was more of a point of reference today and fingers crossed over the coming weeks I can lower my splits and get faster for my Sept 13th crack at another 5th Avenue Mile title.

Arrived at trusty Geasey Field at 10.45am the shower at 9.30am had kept the masses away which suited me,w/ 4x400m repeats on tap I needed the inside lane to myself.
Mile warm up and then time for the 2x150m
23.52
23.39
Given I don't do much short stuff below 200m I had to guess what to shoot for,my mindset was if I run 34 seconds for 200m half that {18 seconds for 100m and 9 seconds for another 50m} and 27 seconds was a reasonable target time for this week,the fact I dropped two sub 24s means next Saturday I'll be shooting for sub 24s again in the hopes of going faster.

Now for the 4x400m,I allowed myself  four mins recovery between each,this is something I can tweak moving forward not just for 5th Avenue Mile but should I choose to keep this repeat in my rotation once mid December and training for the Indoor season which is someting I'm considering.
Again I had no real idea what I should be shooting for off the bat so went w/ 70 seconds this week,went:
66.07
66.71
68.43
69.02
They were constant if nothing else,again over the coming six weeks the plan is to lower those times

And now for the always fun "Decathletes Mile" named after the fact the Decathlon finishes on a 1,500m that I'm confident Ashton Eaton and company must dread!
If memory serves from 07 and 08 there was a seven minute recovery between the 4th 400m and the mile....I opted to go w/ 4 mins.....A because there's a streak of masochist that runs through me and B I subscribe to the time honoured theory" your repeat is only as good as you recovery" sure we can all be world beaters w/ extended recovery but I do want to be a world beater over 1,500m at next years World Masters in Lyon so short recoverys it is.
1.24-1.31-1.31-1.17=5.43.2
Again like the 150s and 400s this was about putting down a marker for the coming weeks so we'll see what happens next Saturday when I return to do it all over again.

No comments: