Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Falling Or Flying

After yesterdays wise decision to turn around and head home when my foot and a few other factors didn,t hang far enough over into the plus column for my liking today there was no turning back,no second guessing,no room for error, time to prove to myself if no one else I was ready willing and able to take on the task at hand and forfill a lifelong dream/ambition of racing at Madison Square Garden in the Millrose Games,it really was now or never in terms of one last workout to give myself some sort of fighting chance on Friday.
Mercifully my foot felt fine,the days rest had soothed my sore leg muscles and the grey overcast conditions had been replaced by blue skys and sunshine,albeit w/ a healthy dose of a strong wind.......all the better to drive me down the home straight he said hopefully if not somewhat unrealistically,muchlike the old days of running on the either drive on the Art Museum Loop where one thing was a given,whichever way you ran the wind was always in your face the same can be said of Franklin Field,back straight,home straight,bottom bend,top bend you,re always fighting the wind.
The game plan was a 3 lap warm up,some stretches and some strides 150m in 25 secs,60 sec recovery followed by another 150m in 25 secs or under b4 launching into 2x600m,the target time of the first was a 1.17 400m followed by a second 4 mins later this time w/ a target time of 69 secs at 400m and then off of 4 mins recovery 2 final 150m target times 22.5 for the first 21 secs for the second and a three lap cool down.
150m#1 23.45,#2 24.49,not bad,w/ 145m laps at MSG it,s somewhat comforting to know I,m capable of reasonable 150s on my lonesome,fighting the wind,at least come Fri there,ll be no wind,a banked track, indoors, people to chase and hopefully people chasing me and while at 6.01pm MSG won,t be packed to the rafters I,m hoping to feed off of the crowds energy like I have so many times b4,for me there,s always something special about racing in New York and I,ve talked long and I hope eloquently in the past about taping into "the spirit of Eamonn Coghlan" where better than MSG ''The house that Eamonn built" and when better than now.
Next up the two 600m,when I crossed the line both times I understood the mindset of GP to get me to run 600s,sure I was breathing heavily and slowing b4 the line but I,d ran 200m over the distance I need to race this Fri,a shrewd bit of coaching by GP,while I may,ve hung my head at the compleation of 600m #2 the important and psychological thing was I,d ran two back to back 600m and that should make for an easier convertion to one 400m in 2 days time,for the record my 200m/400m/600m splits were:43,1.23,2.06.17,44,1.26,2.11.50.
Closing out my first repeat session in seven weeks I managed 2 final 150s in 26.70,26.17 b4 a three lap cool down to call it a day.
Ok so w/ the exception of my opening 2 150s my target times are down but I think the fact I came through w/out any bad reaction to my foot is a major plus and the fact I was able to compleat the workout is another,any and all positives I can take w/ me going into Friday are welcome.
Fingers crossed I,ll wake up tomorrow feeling no ill effects from today and ready to tackle a 2 mile soft jog to loosen my muscles and then it,s just a question of marking time off untill 6.01pm Friday evening.

No comments: