Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Knocking The Sand Off

I,d be lying if I said my trip to Ireland didn,t concern me timing wise,I am rightly or wrongly a creature of habit and after weeks and months of deliberate planning each week the prospect of a 6,000 mile round trip so close to Nationals was one that concerned me,that said a week in Ireland don,t come around all that often and besides I wasn,t gonna pass up on my mothers 70th b,day{unlike some members of my clan}so I was anxious to get back into a regular routine hence me heading down to Franklin Field for my 6x600m repeats dispite the heat.
Having read Steve,s blog "Seebo,s Run" I gathered last week had been rather brutal heat wise so maybe my week of 6 mile beach runs wasn,t such a bad thing afterall,I tend to think my training may,ve been compromised by the third heatwave of the summer,trust me tonite I could feel the heat off the track through my racing flats but I wasn,t going to be content untill I,d gotten my first track workout in to see where I was and frankly waiting another day or two was NOT an option!
My team mate Neil offered to join me,I was greatful for the push,while I was going for 6x600m Neil was opting for 2x600m,2x400m,2x200m.I wanted to go out in 1.10 for the opening 400m but as is often the case when working out w/ somebody to push me I crushed the opening 400m in 64 seconds b4 a 33 second 200m 1.37.59.............opps,the toothpaste was well and truly out of the tube now!!
A marginally more restrained second 400m split....66 seconds b4 a 36 second 200m,1.42.33 the question was could I keep up this pace?
Almost identical splits on repeats #3 and #4, 67/34 67/35 for 1.41.52,1.42.56,w/ hindsight I wish I,d had taken just a smidge off of those two repeats.
#5 and I could feel my legs getting heavy w/out Neil to push me till the closing 200m not surprizingly my paced dipped,1.14 at 400m and a fully charged Neil breathing down my neck I responded w/a 31 second closing 200m to clock 1.45.64,did I have one more in me?
Alas,no 1.18 at 400m maybe I was guilty of not pushing hard enough on the first lap prefering to keep something back to hold off Neil over the closing 200m,dispite felling leg weary I treated the final turn like the final turn of any race and gave it everything up the home straight,33 seconds for a 1.51.59.
At least my fears and concerns about my week away had been answered tonite,clearly w/ more economic pacing I could,ve gone 6/6 again and hopefully come Wednesday when I return for my 4x1 mile repeats I,ll be able to keep things even paced but for tonite I,m quite pleased w/ my performance.

No comments: