Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Days Wait

My prepossed mile repeats got swept away w/ the rain yesterday,in the general scheme of things I,m glad I waited a day,sure my planned day off Sunday has now gone by the way side however I,m pleased I showed some good common sence yesterday,by the time I,d waited out the rain it was 5.50pm,Franklin Field now closes at 7pm not 8pm{summer hours}and frankly trying to rush to the track,rush my stretches and warm up and then do justice to my workout seemed like a recipe for disaster so I opted to wait a day,lo and behold clear skies,no humidity and a beautiful evening for mile repeats this evening.
I opened w/ a 1.13 lap which felt comfortable as I followed up w/ splits of 1.15,1.18,1.12, a 4.58.00 mile.
Keeping in mind what GP had told me the last time I did mile repeats and not to focus too much on my previous mile repeats I took the 4.58 as a good start and followed up w/ splits of 1.16,1.16,1.14,68 for a 4.54.92 mile,I was very pleased to crank up the pace in the second half of this mile.
Cut it close on mile#3,1.16,1.19,1.17,67,4.59.33,I took great pleasure in that 67 second final lap,3/3 could I notch back to back 4/4 mile repeats and my first ever set here at my beloved Franklin Field?
Things began well enough,splits of 1.16,1.19 however mentally I think I went to sleep on the third lap,sure my arms and legs were tired but I,ve felt that way b4 and will again,I think having had weeks and months of two sometimes three repeats a week and then suddenly having a week off of that meant I didn,t instantly tune myself to work harder, a 1.24 lap just killed it for me,3.59 at the bell I was going to need a 61 second lap to make 5.00 which was always going to be a tall order that said I went for it and clocked a 68 to finish in 5.07.68.
Yeah I,m a tad miffed not to go 4/4 again but to put things in prespective on my final 4x1 mile repeat b4 Nationals last year I went:5.22.90,5.19.06,5.18.58,4.58.98,a case of chalk and cheese me thinks?

No comments: