Saturday, July 5, 2008

Landmark

Two days after the Masters exhibition 3,000m at the Olympic Trials in Oregon,a race I had at one time hoped to be at I managed a landmark of my own much closer to home,4 sub 5 minute mile repeats.
After last weeks heroics I felt confident I could get all 4 under 5 mins,to do so meant NOT going out in 65 seconds on my opening lap ,nor clocking an opening mile of 4.42,in fact GP had even suggested going out in 5.08 for the opening mile and gradually dropping my mile splits down each one faster than the previous one.
Conditions were overcast and grey when I reached Lower Merion,s track{tell me this isn,t becoming my favourite track to work out on!!!},in fact things were so grey I nixed my shades in favour of my regular glasses.
Stretches done{new month now,one extra stretch for the six stretches I do b4 each workout and race}and mile warm up taken care of it was time to see what I was made of,keeping in mind what GP and I had discussed yesterday over the phone I went out easy for the opening lap 1.10,there was a time that would,ve been considered brisk,today it felt comfortable,keeping in mind I had 3 more miles to run I backed off oh so slightly on my second lap,1.17,2.27 for 800m,4.54 pace,I picked up the pace slightly on lap 3 a 1.15 split b4 closing in 1.13,4.53.65.
Buoyed by my opening mile I opened mile #2 w/ a 1.11 split,when I first began mile repeats last May my target time was 1.20 per lap,5.20 per mile,a 1.11 would,ve been a great final lap on my 4th repeat now I,m opening my second mile w/ it!!!,1.14 for lap 2,2.25 at 800m followed by a 1.16 third lap3.41 at the bell I closed in 1.10 to clock a 4.51.84 split.
1.12 for the first lap on mile#3 I was pleased how consistant I was opening each repeat w/1.17 for the second lap 2.29 at 800m.4.58 mile pace was cutting it a little close,I managed another 1.17 lap to clock 3.46 at the bell,I was confident of going sub 1.14 on the final lap to notch a third sub 5 mile,69 seconds a 4.55.43 mile,ok so the lowering my splits per mile record had gone but I was 4 laps away from a first ever 4 sub 5 minute mile repeat workout,fortune it is said favours the brave,I told myself as I lined up for the final mile to attack the first turn and set the tone and tempo early on.
Another 1.12 opening 400m,followed by another 1.17 second lap,2.29 at 800m,my legs were begining to feel it after the opening lap I,m not gonna front and say otherwise but I could almost taste victory,I just had to hang on,my slowest split of the entire work out 1.19,3.48 at 1,200m,a 1.12 or under final lap would do it,all session I,d held a tight line hugging the rail, going through the puddles on the track,w/ 200m to go I knew it was there for the taking just like I knew at 3.46 on the previous mile at the bell I could do it,w/ 180m to go I did my best Scottie impression and gave it all I could captain,rounding the turn I told myself I was a straight away from a landmark,driving,digging but never losing my form I drove up the home straight to clock a 68 second final lap,4.56.85......YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At first glance of my watch crossing the line I though it read 4.58 which would,ve been ok but 4.56 I think it,s fair to say I was too bloody knackered to start whooping it up but inside I was doing my best Michael Flattley impression trust me!!!
A much slower mile for my mile cool down followed,yet again I,d been able to get my requisit 30 miles for the week in by Saturday{thanks in no small part to that 4 miler post race on Tuesday}and I can look forward to a compleat rest day again tomorrow just like last week b4 once again getting myself ready for another week begining Monday.

No comments: