Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jet Lagged Be Damned

I knew irregardless of how I felt when I woke up this morning that a trip to the track was on the cards for a set of 4x1mile repeats,so up by 10am b4 leaving for Temple just after 11am.
Arrived at an overcast and gray track a little gone noon,I knew it was around 85 degrees which given the heat here in Philly for the past week and what I'd been dealing w/ out in Sacramento was a respite.

Mile warm up to get the juices flowing b4 the mile repeats,I had no real idea what to expect given yesterdays cross country flight but just like my trek to Sacramento for Worlds the only way to know was find out.
#1 mile 1.22-1.23-1.21-1.14-5.20.3.Not a bad start to proceedings,I'd have willingly taken 5.20 pace b4 hand so even w/ uneven if not consistent splits I'd gotten there....question was could I stay there?
#2 mile 1.20-1.24-1.22-1.15-5.21.5.Was a little surprised to clock 1.20 for the opening lap as I felt mentally I was all over the show a fact underlined by the 1.24 on lap 2.
Having gotten to grips w/ it mentally on the back straight of lap 3 I was able to close in 2.37 to clock a decent 5.21.,but judging from my breathing #3 was going to be a struggle.........
#3 mile 1.22-1.31-1.31-1.36-6.00.2.I make no bones about mailing it in on the final lap,having opened well in 1.22 the wheels soon fell off w/ back to back 1.31s and frankly the only thing worth salvaging from this was the fact I kept going and at least completed the repeat.
#4 mile 1.30-1.32-1.31-1.15-5.48.3.At the risk of putting lipstick on a pig at least I closed hard w/ a 1.15,granted it came off the back of some slow arse splits but at least I was able to find a change of gears to finish w/ a modicum of respect.

I'll take this repeat for what it was a chance to get some speed work in,more than I would've on a 6 miler out and back along Cobbs Creek Parkway.
Thanks in part to a quirk in scheduling tomorrow is an easy 4 miler b4 a second rest day brought about only by the fact I'm tapering for Nationals.
Saturday will see me return to Temple for a second crack at the 3x2mile repeats,I'm hoping for better times than on my debut almost 2 weeks ago.

As for today?I was delighted w/ the opening 2 miles but wasn't surprised to see it tail off,at least I made the effort rather than opt out altogether,I have three more repeats on tap between now and Berea and Nationals,I need to make them all count.

No comments: