Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Next Stop Sacramento

Thanks in part to yesterday being a holiday and the fact I'm leaving for Sacramento tres early in the am I was offered today as a day off.....here's my arm,twist it.....ok ok I'll take the day off!!!!
I finally got my blood work done officially this morning,after the fall out from the woeful 4.54 mile at Henderson on June 3rd and having Seano pull some strings(what's the feckin point being in the Irish running mafia if there's no kick backs???) to get blood drawn there was still the wee matter of my official doctors visit last Wednesday which kinda got lost in the shuffle of things last week....blink and ye'd have missed it,anywho the upshot of my visit was a referral for more blood tests....only problem being due to my health insurance I couldn't get it done at my doctors office so I had to go to a Quest Diagnostic location to get it done,no worries since I had today off I got up semi early(I actually woke up b4 my 4.51am alarm normally goes off,christ only knows what time I'll be waking up in Sacramento!!!!) to be in their office just after they opened at 7.30am and was done by 8.30am....it remains to be seen what these results will show.

Out for a final run pre Worlds,an easy out and back 6 miler along Cobbs Creek Parkway around 10.30am it was already 84 degs....but according to Accu Weather it's gonna hit 101 degs in Sacramento today......good job I have left over sun screen from last years trip for Nationals cos I'm gonna need it this coming week!!!
My bag is packed after going through my check list twice to make sure I packed everything so now all that remains is to spend some quality time w/ Precious b4 I leave for the airport.
Having side stepped Indoor Nationals this will be my first time leaving her behind on a running road trip so I feel a tad guilty about that but such are the perils of being a pet owner who twice,maybe three times a year goes off to pursue his running dreams,I'm sure I'll miss the daylights out of her while I'm gone and god forbid I see a tv commerical w/ a silver calico cat like I did last year when I left Hobbes behind and saw not one but two commericals w/ orange cats!!!

I wish I felt more confident going into Saturdays 5,000m race,after running 15.36.8.last July in Sacramento for Nationals I believed in my heart of hearts w/ a solid winters training and a good spring,early summer of racing under my belt a 10 second improvement and maybe outside shot at a bronze was on tap........life isn't what it's often advertised as,after an indoor 15.47.3. in January I thought I was on track(no pun intended)however fate can be a cruel and fickle mistress and after a series of slower than expected races dating back to late Februry,early March it took until early June to discover my ferritin levels were shockingly low hence the sub standard times I've logged.
In running,as is in life you play the hand you are dealt,kinda got a bum hand if you ask me but at least I'm able to go to Worlds this time around,two years ago my achilles knackered my ambitions of a 800m/1,500m double in Lathi Finland so I guess glass half full at least I'm going to Worlds this time around,even if it means not at my very best.
While it sucks to be less than my best for any race,it's doubly frustrating for it to happen at Worlds period,I can't see me going to Indoor Worlds in Finland in March nor the next Outdoor Worlds in Brazil in 2 years time,we'll have to see how the WMA assembly votes on July 14th for the venues of the 2014 Indoor and 2015 Outdoor Worlds.

Alrighty then this is moi signing off,as I'm sans laptop or Blackberry there will only be blog updates if and when I can access pc time,I did read in the athletes hand book there will be pc's available at the main venue for athletes to use so hopefully I can squeeze out an update or two but God willing I'll be home next Tuesday evening to give a blow by blow account of my trip to Sacramento and Worlds,wish me luck I think I'm gonna need it!!!!!

4 comments:

Kevin C. Tofel said...

Looking forward to hearing about the meet. Best of luck and don't get too discouraged if the outcome isn't what you had hoped for. There's only so much in your control here.

Randy Shwini said...

Hello Mr. Kevin,

The best luck in California for the World Champions! I have seen in your blog lately that you feel it is not your best, but just remember the quote from your famous America Mr. Steven Prefonatine: To give less is to sacrifice the gift. Kevin, you have many gifts in your running body, so use them! All of your readers await the result (and plus the one from Korea!

Sincerely,

Randy Shwini

kevin f forde said...

Randy,thank you for the words of encouragement,I may not be at my best but I will give my best at Worlds,it's hard to run a 5,000m and not think of Steve Prefontaine.

kevin f forde said...

Kevin, it's like I said in the blog,at least I'm going to Worlds so rather than bleat about not being able to compete at the level I'm used to I should embrace this opportunity and hope for the best....and then bitch post race about not doing as well as I wanted!!!!