Monday, July 27, 2009

Not So Pale,Always A Paddy,Still Proud

''Say a prayer for my mother,say a prayer for my father,say a prayer for my brother,but most of all please say a prayer for me"
"If You All Get To Heaven" Terence Trent D'Arby

Today was the day of reckoning for me,after a six week lay off I returned to the track in the hope that my achilles tendon woes were behind me and that I could begin the long haul back to where I was pre injury.
Spending the day at the Keystone Games yesterday proved to be some what of a double edged sword for me,it was good to be back in that environment again after too long away,however watching my marque events were bitter sweet,the 1,500m had me sorely tempted to register on the day and jump in to see what I could do while in the 800m I had to sit in the stands as my 2 year old club record was shaved down by 2 seconds,all praises due to Nick for his 1.57 time but it served as my Pearl Harbor day,the day the sleeping giant was awoken.

However it needed to be reinforced in my mind that it was "small steps"and long b4 I can get back to hammering those killer 6x600m repeats I had to get through todays run pain free,I elected for an easy workout,mile warm up,mile and mile cool down,my first plan was for a 5,000m time trial but the mile,mile, mile seemed a better way to go for now,I can get more creative down the road.
Conditions were were suitably sweltering when I arrived at my beloved Franklin Field by 4.30pm,it's funny in the past three years I've shown up at Franklin Field for countless repeat workouts not to mention four Penn Relays but never have I felt such an overwhelming sense of urgency as I did today,get through this w/out any pain and discomfort and begin to map out a return to training albeit at a comfortable pace,suffer another set back and go back to the drawing board,there was a lot riding on this.

After a good stretch and warm up I took my first tentative steps on a track since June 16th,an easy mile to warm up,sure I was huffing and puffing a little it'll take time to get used to being back at this,I only have to cast my mind back some 18 months after another 6 week lay off w/ my stress fracture to remember how ugly it was trying to get back into conditioning mode,then I had a whole season ahead of me,at least now w/ the 09 outdoor track season over there's not as great a sense of need for it to happen right away....remember I said that in a few weeks time when I'm bitching to high heaven at how slow it's taking to get back what I lost!!!
I had hoped to run 1.20 per lap on my actual mile,perhaps a tad over ambitious,I could've just ran and not timed it...................yeah right that was going to happen!!!,for the record I went:1.25,1.30,1.30,1.24. for a 5.49.06,far from earth shattering but as somebody once said and I quote"at some point in time Davey Crockett had to shoot his first bear"....not that I'm advocating the shooting of bears you understand!!!!

Another mile to cool down b4 more stretching and icing,b4 icing again after I returned home,and post blog more stretching,so far so good the achilles feels ok and hopefully when I wake up in the morning it'll still feel ok,I've been saying for the past week I couldn't look beyond today and that first run,w/ that taken care of let's see what the morning brings,I have the first of two physical therapy sessions this week tomorrow,maybe a bike ride post pt and hopefully a return to Franklin Field Wednesday and a crack at lowering that 5.49.06 mile,don't call it a comeback,not just yet anyway.....

No comments: