Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One Down,Two To Go

Well that's the first week of my cast boot behind me.....and the first week of barbed comments to all and sundry who've dared cross me about it,my favourite snide comment came yesterday after the three day weekend when someone rather stupidly asked"so what did you do over the weekend"?....................
"you know,ballroom dancing,rollerblading,skateboarding,windsurfing,absailing".....the usual activities one does while they're wearing a goddamn foot cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therein lies part of my dilemma,as of today I've ran once in the last five weeks and frankly I'm going out of my everlovin' freakin mind here,to the point where I went online today and ordered a road bike.
I'm looking at at least two more weeks of the boot and frankly I need to be able to jump on a bike and ride post work and on the weekends to not only stay in shape but also stay some what sane,I thought long and hard about the bike,there are risks w/ it but I figured cross training mightn't be so bad,I'm looking at my third injury in four years and at almost 46 the wear and tear on my body isn't helping any,lest we forget my line of work keeps me on my feet most of the day,plus w/ a bike come winter if it's brass monkeys out there I can put the bike down in the basement and prop the back week off the ground and make a stationary bike out of it so here's hoping it's a win/win for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT THE HECK!!!!
I just went to the website and the date has been moved to the 26th

I can't change my tickets as they were mileage tickets that I got somewhere around the end of Jan and my wife and her parents are coming as well. Well this is just crappy news! No 5th AVE mile for me
Matt

kevin f forde said...

Matt,
that sucks,I originally had 5th Avenue Mile down for Sept 20th also only to discover that the date was actually Sept 26th which caused all manner of problems w/ plans my mother and sister made to fly over to see me run,of course that was pre injury,it remains to be seen if I can run 5th Avenue Mile at all this year now.

Anonymous said...

Well for next year, I will hold off on making any plans until Mid July.
I hope you can run this year, if not we will still be in the same age group next year. My birthday comes near the end of December so I will be 41 when I run next September, and who knows maybe in better shape.
matt

kevin f forde said...

Matt,
if I learnt one thing this summer it's making even short termn plans can back fire.
I have one more week of wearing my cast boot,I begin PT tomorrow and my bike should be road worthy by this evening.
I'm making no plans re racing just yet,it 5th Avenue Mile happens great,if I need a little while longer so be it.