Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Christmas You Get You Deserve

"They've got cars big as bars they've got rivers of gold but the wind goes right through you it's no place for the old
When you first took my hand on a cold Christmas eve you promised me Broadway was waiting for me
You were handsome you were pretty Queen of New York City when the band finished playing they howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging,all the drunks they were singing we kissed on a corner then danced through the night
The boys of the NYPD choir we're singing"Galway Bay"and the bells were ringing out for Christmas day"

Fairytale Of New York-The Pogues W/ Kirsty McColl

Seasons greetings all.
Christmas Day or not I still planned to run today for years I never ran on Christmas Day until 05 and again in 06,my stress fracture kept me from running in 07 but I was back at it in 08 but not last year.
Had I not've had yesterday off of work today would've been my track day and tomorrow would've been my long run,however...
I set off at my usual time of 10.30am early doors I wasn't seeing anyone else out there but gradually more runners,cyclists,rollerbladers and walkers emerged,always good to know you're not the only one neurotic enough to be out there on Christmas Day.
Briefly at 6 miles my left finger tips began to get numb but not to the degree that they were on Sunday,it's gonna be a long winter if that continues.

One thing's for sure as the weeks have gone by since my first 16 miler on Oct 31st I've grown used to the long run,I remember how knackered I used to be after my long run,I've grown used to it so much so that today post run and phone call back home to wish the family Merry Christmas b4 continuing my new Christmas Day tradition,going to the movies,last year it was "Nine" this year"The Chronicles Of Narnia,The Adventures Of The Dawn Treader"
Christmas dinner was Pizza and Ice Cream and then to round out my day the Doctor Who Christmas Special,my father once told me when I was young that"Christmas is what you make it"this year I made a great day out of it for myself,who cares I spent the day alone,I've spent the last seven Christmas Days alone but for once I wasn't that bothered....a Christmas miracle?

No comments: