Friday, December 31, 2010

Pretty Good Year

Easy 12 miler to finish off the year,which if I've done the math correctly means 2,221 miles for the year,my heaviest mileage in a year ever.
B4 I launch into my year ending Top Ten races here's a look back on the year that was.

January
Still on a high from the 4x800m World Record in late December I was soon brought back down to earth w/ a thud w/ a 10.16 3,000m,at first I thought my second half collapse was down to the track,but 4 days later at The Armory I had no excuses over the mile and faced up to the fact I needed to get back to basics,plummeting great depths means having to dig deep to scale great heights again and thus begun the long road back,culminating in anchoring the clubs b team to a bronze at the Millrose Games.

February
W/ the weather calling the shots I only managed one race but was happy to continue to up my mileage as thoughts spread to March and an all out assault on the club records for 3,000m and 2 miles b4 Indoor Nationals,having gotten used to running 30 miles a week I threw in a 40 mile week to prep for the Mac C'ships 3,000m

March
Huge pr in the 3,000m 9.13.6 and a return to club records,my next race also at The Armory was also a pr/club record over 2 miles but this was more by the skin of my teeth.
Indoor Nationals,three races in three days and three medals,silver and a pair of bronzes in the mile and 800m and another pr in the 3,000m

April
Outdoors,w/ the 3,000m and 2 mile records mine now for the 5,000m,at this stage of the season I was leaning towards the 1,500m and 5,000m as my distances for the summer at Nationals.
Another huge pr and club record w/ a 15.57.7. and then an insane idea.....add the 10,000m record,I hadn't ran a 10,000m on the track since 86 but I clocked a 34.43.3.

May
A reasonable 4.15 1,500m in New York b4 shaving a second off my 5,000m time in Swarthmore,and then a funny thing happened,my 5x1,000m repeats lead me to believe I still had a future at 800m and w/ that a rescheduling of my final pre Nationals race to add an 800m.

June
No pr in my 5,000m but a third sub 16,maybe a clock or someone calling lap times might have helped,another reasonable 1,500m b4 a time trial mile and then a 2.03.7. as I grew used to 45 mile weeks in training.

July
A month after my last race I kicked off my Outdoor Nationals w/ a bronze in the 5,000m and another pr 15.36.8.two days later I came that close to adding a third National Champion title to my list but had to settle for a silver in the 800m w/ a 2.02.4
The following day it was another silver this time in the 1,500m 4.14.4. b4 going one better than in Boston at Indoor Nationals and running 4 races in 4 days and winning 4 medals thanks to a gold in the 4x800m,my 4th Gold at Outdoor Nationals in the 4x800m.

August
A quiet month,I managed to cram all my races in to one morning at the debut Greater Philadelphia Track Club Track Pentathlon.
No point being the iron man of the track if you're not going to show up at the Track Pentathlon and after kicking things off w/ another 3,000m pr 9.07.7. I ran out the winner although things may've turned out much differently had Nick Berra not pulled a hammy in the 200m.

September
If it's September it must be 5th Avenue Mile,4th overall again and a modicum of revenge for Nick as he won the race but for the second year in a row 4th overall but 1st in the 45-49 age group

October
Ever since my first 5,000m pr on the track back in April I'd given thought to the road 5k club record,Syracuse proved to be the time and the place and while I suffered the cruel fate of seeing my 15.59.rounded up to 16.00{boo hiss!}I did at least add the club record to my tally

November
Continuing my base mileage that began in late October I notched 3 of my 75 mile weeks in November and added an age group victory at the Rothman 8K even though I feel well shy of the club record.

December
The end of base mileage and the return to repeats in mid December as I notched 4 good repeats to hopefully launch me in to the 2011 season.
We can look more at 2011 tomorrow and what the upcoming season might bring.

No comments: