Monday, December 13, 2010

Track Season Starts Here

So I never made it up to Van Cortlandt Park yesterday for the Pete McCardle 15k xc,it was pissing down w/ rain when I woke up and the prospect of running 15 miles in that didn't appeal to me so I blew it off and while I did consider going out for a 10 miler in the afternoon after it had stopped I ended up not running period.
Rather than view the glass half empty w/ missed mileage last week I sought to look at the glass half full,this week was going to be my resumption of repeats and the original plan was to hit the track tomorrow after work,however since I wouldn't be feeling the effects of 5 5k loops of Van Cortlandt Park now then why not go today and take advantage of not only my day off but also warmer conditions,tomorrow is shaping up to be the coldest day of the week and certainly not a day to be standing around in between repeats.

After an 11 week absence from the track it was always going to be a baptism of fire today,I elected to go w/ 8x800m a new repeat for me.
It was a little after 10.30am when I arrived at Temple,no great surprise I more or less had the track to myself,following a mile warm up it was time to get down to business running tights and my Ireland fleece were the order of the day along w/ my trusty thermal gloves and skull cap.

#1 800m 1.12-1.16-2.28.2. I felt 1.15 per lap was a good place to begin,1.20 would have been too soft and while first workouts are often hard to gauge I had at least started as I meant to go on
#2 800m 1.15-1.15-2.30.9. A tad early to be talking about being"in the zone" but three weeks off and seven weeks of base mileage hadn't eroded my ability to run even tempo.
#3 800m 1.15-1.15-2.30.3. Three down,five to go,could I keep this going?
#4 800m 1.16-1.14-2.30.5. The first hiccup of the workout,a little dip in concentration on the first lap but w/out going in to my reserves I was able to haul it back.
#5 800m 1.16-1.14-2.30.2. More of the same.....w/out the lapse of concentration on the opening lap.
#6 800m 1.15-1.15-2.30.6. It was about now the thought"maybe I should've opened w/ 6x800m repeats"began to play over and over on my three minute recovery.....
#7 800m 1.15-1.13-2.28.7. Wow! One more and an ideal opener to several months of repeats....no pressure....
#8 800m 1.12-1.14-2.26.7. When I was coming off the top turn I thought I was feeling the pace a little,on my 8th 800 that would be understandable...the 1.12 opening lap may also have had a lot to do w/ it...

To open w/ 2.28 and close w/ 2.26 was pleasing but to be so consistent in between was as equally pleasing,granted over the coming months I'd like to get a lot faster but as opening repeats go this was a good one,we'll see what Saturdays 10x400m has in store.

No comments: