Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sweet FA

Mother nature took care of yesterday for me which in some respects was a blessing as I probably needed a rest both mentally and physically.
As a rule if I'm conducting an easy run on the weekend I like to be up by mid morning to take care of it,however today was a unique day on the sporting calender,the English FA Cup Final.
For those of you not as familiar w/ the significance of English soccer,think Superbowl and you're more or less on the same page.
Much like the Superbowl it's one of those deals where you tend to watch it even if your team isn't playing,unlike the Superbowl the last several years it's only been available on ppv{pay per view}and for the past three years I've been too cash strapped going into Nationals to shell out $25,no worries this year both FSC and Setanta had the game,w/ FSC you got the game,w/ Setanta you got pre game from 4am till kick off at 10am and 45 mins post game,suddenly I was transported back to my old living room on Lewisham High St where I watched Cup Finals from 1971 through 1986,in 1970 I went to Wembley to see Chelsea vs Leeds,my first ever soccer game and in 1987 I was back at Wembley to see Spurs vs Coventry,I barely remember much of 1970.....I'd like to forget 1987!!!!
Anywho Chelsea won today 2.1 which means my mother and coach are happy campers,interesting sidebar I stayed home to watch the game while "Dib" was off racing{the Brooklyn Half Marathon which I believe got him into November's New York Marathon}and w/ the post game pleasantries taken care of I was off to conduct my easy 5 miler.
Tomorrow sees me hit the track again for repeats,ironic it's 800s,tomorrow is 9 weeks to the 800m final at Worlds and this coming weekend it's back to back 800m races.

No comments: