Saturday, May 2, 2009

Shifting Gears

For the past several weeks my focus had been on a fast 1,500m race at the University of Delaware today,to have that taken away from me at the eleventh hour on Thursday nite seemed in keeping w/ the week I've had.
That said I now had the added bonus of a 4x1 mile repeat that I wouln't have had,I guess a classic case of lemons and lemonade.
I got a little bit of everything w/ the weather ths morning,grey and overcast,humid,rain,sunshine it's days like these I recall the old Cub Scout motto"Be Prepared"jacket and baseball cap if needed,water bottle,bandana also if needed,as it turned out I didn't have use for the former.
I opted to conduct these mile repeats closer to home at the Top Cat Bowl,"Dib" and I agreed that sooner rather than later all my repeats need to switch to an all weather track,I figured once Penn Graduation comes and goes Franklin Field during the week will be my go to track{providing they sort out this nonsence of changing the hours of"open recreation"}and weekend mile repeats will be done out on the Main Line at either Haverford or Lower Merion High School,fingers crossed no trips to Roxboro this year and the attitude I always seem to have to deal w/out there.
#1,74,80,79,70-5.03.29.an uneven opening mile which probably set the tone for the entire repeat,my mantra going in was"74-79" but an 80 second 2nd lap soon threw that off,oh to be able to go,75,75,75,75.
#2,75,81,78,68-5.02.91.more uneven pace and a bastard 81 second split thrown into the mix,I'm sorry but an 81 second split on my mile repeats is as unwelcome as a fart in a phone box.
#3,78,80,81,74-5.13.86.going from a closing lap of 68 to an opening lap of 78 in the space of 5 minutes seemed to set the tone for mile 3,closing in 74 seconds was cold comfort when I could still only register a 5.13.86. mile.
#4,78,80,82,64-5.04.95.haven,t seen an 82 second split in the mile since #,2 on March 14th but I'd have to go back futher than that{Feb 21st} for a closing lap of 64 seconds....and I'd like to point out that was on the opening mile,prior to today my fastest 16th and final lap on mile repeats was a 65 second split also on March 14th.
I'm not sure if mile repeats factor into the rotation next week w/a Thursday race,maybe next weekend,maybe the week after for now I need to put this behind me,enjoy an easy 5 miler tomorrow and get ready for a whole new week come Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice last lap!

Rain, rain go away! 'windy, cold, rainy (actually wasn't too windy, but sounds good), but no way I was running my scheduled 800 in this weather. It was scheduled for 11:40AM, I must admit I did end up at the track at 3:30 later that day out of guilt when there was a break in the rain. After a few 100strides and some drills; 5 x200 29.5, 28.72, 27.23, 26.39, 26.22. Hey Now! then 2x 100's 13.11, 12.72Of course this is what my little watched said. Oh well, you inspire me, maybe I will do just one- mile repeat tomorrow and then a few shorter intervals. May 9th 1500 scheduled. So I have to get two more interval workouts in.

kevin f forde said...

It's always nice to know I can inspire somebody,thank you.
Good luck next Sat in the 1,500m