Friday, May 8, 2009

Detour

Let's get the unpleasentness over w/ first shall we,last nites Masters Mile at the Loucks Games in White Plains didn't happen and rather than go off on tangents,rants etc etc all I'm going to say is it's not the fact I lost out on another race,or the the fact I sacrificed races at Ichan on Tuesday or tomorrow for this but the fact I spent $15 on an entry fee and $45 on train fare for nothing and frankly that's $60 I don't have right now wasted.
That said I wish to move on I've just managed to get a spot in the 1,500m at Swarthmore this Monday and need to focus my energy on that.
Despite everything I went out this afternoon to conduct an impromptu repeat workout to get ready for Monday,2x150,6x300m,2x150m,w/ Franklin Field off limits due to a multi event{Hoptagal???}going on there this weekend I had to conduct it at the Top Cat Bowl.
The drawback doing this kind of workout there is I have to "eyeball"where I think the 150m/300m marks should be,doing 400s/mile repeats are straight forward,it's hard to knawls up one lap!!.
As if to prove my point,"Dib"s MO on the opening 150s was a controlled 24 seconds my first one went 20.27.which given how controlled I ran it didn't seem right,if I'd have gone all Usain Bolt on it maybe but I went at it from a milers prespective not a sprinters so I backed up the next one and went 22.23. and maybe should've left it at just that....but since I was required to do 2x150s I went for a second one from the new hash mark on the cinders and went 24.03.
Following my recovery it was the meat and spuds of the workout 6x300m w/ diminished recoveries w/a target time of 48-49 seconds.
I went:44.76,48.70,47.92,49.20,49.91,53.00.
I'm sure the cynics will say"if you'd have ran the first one better the last one wouldn't have gone tits up on you and while there's a case for that I have to point out my first 300m had a different start/finish than #2-#6 and it's possible I got my hash mark wrong......it's not like I've gone to Home Depot and gone around the track w/ a measuring wheel,#2-#5 were consistant at least.
Final 150s, "Dib" said "you can run these angry...or save your anger till Mondays 1,500'' I ran 21.96-20.61.
To use a boxing quote"I took the fight on short notice"when I woke up this morning I wasn't sure what the day had in store for me,I wasn't sure I'd be able to speak w/ "Dib" till this evening given he's in off on a book signing tour this weekend..........providing they locate the books!!! and I wasn't sure he'd give me the green light on Monday.
In running,as is in life it's how you deal w/ these matters that counts,anyone can be on top of their game when it's all apple pie,it's how you react to adversity that shows what you're made of,sure I've got piss and vinegar running through my veins but I'm done boo hooing yesterday,as I was told back in the day when I first quit drinking"tough times don't last,tough people do" and while that should lead nicely into a Bruce Springsteen lyrical reference"Tougher Than The Rest I'll cite another Bruce,Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden.
"I will do what I do best,walking out on you take my life and leave the rest.
I stand alone now I can see, you won't bring me down for all this pain and misery.
I'm not broken,all this hatred can"t you see,you won't bring me down for all this pain and misery.
I'm not broken"
"Broken"
Bruce Dickinson.

No comments: