Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Win One For The Gipper

An easy 5 miler this evening as I get ready for tomorrows Masters Mile at The Loucks Games in White Plains New York.

It was somewhat of a bitter sweet afternoon,prior to leaving for my run I saw Barcelona snatch a place in the Champions League Final from Chelsea in injury time.

Regular readers of my blog know I'm a die hard Spurs fan,but Chelsea were my first love in soccer/football from 1970 through 1981 b4 I switched my allegiance to Spurs,asides from being my first love in soccer they are also the team my mother and coach both follow so I felt their pain when a place in the final was snatched away from them w/ just over a minute of injury time to be played.

"Dib" and I talked post game,post run,he remained upbeat and philosophical about the defeat but asked me to win tomorrows race for him,he's done alot for me in coming up on three years now so the least I can do is try to honour that request....to White Plains we march and the next part of the plan for Worlds in Lahti.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck tonight!
I went to the track (53 1/2 hours before my race on Sat- not sure if I can keep getting away with that now that I am 40) Anyway jog a couple of laps, touch my toes, change into my spikes, and 600: 132.95 (Holy $%^&*) could it have been the Gwen Stephanie spurring me on in my iPod? 2:00 rest, 500: 1:20.27? Forgetting the 1/100ths now, OK that felt better, 2:00 rest, 400 63.2 starting to feel it now, save something for Saturday pal, Ok one more 2:00 rest and then a 300: Ouch 46.4, oh that sucked, run a 200: 28.5 OK better, now go home. So we will see, I should be able to come by 2:13 comfortably. Lists are here
http://www.oxyathletics.com/sports/tf/2008-09/2009OxyInvitePerfList.htm
Think Magill is in the 5000
This is either my last or second to last college race of my life. time to grow up!
Matt

dinklesnaps said...

Good luck, Kevin!

Anonymous said...

My friend (big Iron Maiden fan)says that "running Free" is an Iron Maiden song.
Think I will try to put it on my shuffle.
The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner
The tough of the track
With the wind
And the rain that's beating down on
Your back
Your heart's beating loud
And goes on getting louder
And goes on even more 'til the
Sound is ringing in your head
With every step you tread
And every breath you take
Determination
Makes you run never stop
Got to win got to run 'til you drop
Keep the pace hold the race
Your mind is getting clearer
You're over half way there
But the miles they never seem to end
As if you're in a dream
Not getting anywhere
It seems so futile

[Chorus]
Run on and on
Run on and on
The loneliness of the long distance runner

I've got to keep running the course
I've got to keep running and win at
All costs
I've got to keep going be strong
Must be so determined and push myself on

Run over stiles across fields
Turn to look at who's on your heels
Way ahead of the field
The line is getting nearer but do
You want the glory that goes
You reach the final stretch
Ideals are just a trace
You feel like throwing the race
It's all so futile

kevin f forde said...

Matt,good luck tomorrow in the 1,500m,maybe after my 1,500m Monday we can compare notes!!
GO GET EM,take no prisoners!!

kevin f forde said...

Delvin,thanks for the well wishes,hope they can roll over to Mondays 1,500m at Swarthmore.

kevin f forde said...

Yes Running Free is an Iron Maiden song,infact the first one I ever heard.
As a die hard Maiden fan may I suggest the live version of "Running Free" for your ipod from either"Live After Death" or
"The Essential Iron Maiden"
It's taken from the Long Beach California show on the 84/85 World Slavery Tour,it's as kick arse as it gets!!
"Lonliness Of The Long Distance Runner" is another gem{look for me to quote it sometime soon!!}and lest we forget
"Run To The Hills"
UP THE IRONS!