Saturday, May 9, 2009

Life W/ The Lions

In a week that's had more than it's fair share of glitches it was nice today to be able to go out at lunch time and conduct an easy 5 miler w/out any issues.
My day began early for me on a Saturday,as a rule unless I'm racing I tend to not set my alarm and just get up when the mood suits me,not today,for the first time in five years I got to watch a live Millwall game on tv.
Unlike their fellow South East London neighbours Charlton and Crystal Palace,Millwall have had to spend the last few seasons in the lower leagues,ergo not much live tv coverage for them back home on Sky muchless the chance to catch S.E.16's finest on either Setanta or Fox Soccer Channel here in America.
The last Millwall game I saw on tv?the 04 FA Cup Final{that's like the Superbowl for those not familiar w/ football/soccer}back then The Lions were plying their trade in the Championship the league below the Premiership,since then they've slipped to League One but thanks to a good season this year reached the playoffs,hence todays game at home to Leeds on Setanta.
Managing to buck a trend that has seen them go 0.8 in playoff games since 1991 Millwall won today 1.0 thanks to a Neil Harris goal and are now 1 game away from a Wembley Playoff final.
Let's not run b4 we can walk,they still need to take care of matters in Leeds on Thursday,I'm not sure if that game will get Setanta coverage which may mean pc mouse in one hand,rosary beads in the other but it'd be nice for the club and it's often much maligned supporters to get a day at Wembley,the 04 Cup Final was played in Cardiff while the new Wembley stadium was being built.
I will be taking a Millwall mentality w/ me to Swarthmore on Monday when I duke it out w/ runners half my age,as it says on the back of their shirts"We Fear No Foe"

No comments: