Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Knot Too Shabby

I'm not going to lie,standing in the bathroom at 5.40am brushing my teeth barely awake the prospect of a hard 8 mile in roughly 11 hours time was not exactly revving my engine but being tired after last nites Duran Duran gig or not I was still planning to run my hard 8 this evening and that was that,like I remembered back in the early 80's when I stepped up from 6 miles to 10 miles and 12 miles I knew when I got up at 7.20am that the last thing I could think about was running 10-12 miles come 6pm,you start the day thinking like that you're beaten b4 you start so the best thing to do is put it as far out of your mind as possible no matter how tired you are.

Come 4.30pm I was ready to lay it down,another sunny warm October evening for my second to last hard 8 miler along Cobbs Creek Parkway,after last weeks below par 49.10.6. I wanted something a little more potent as I close in on the Bridge Run 10k.
3.28 at Cedar and CCP,ballpark for where I've been the last few weeks,8.32 at Baltimore Ave and 13.26 at Whitby Ave,slightly down on last week but unlike last week no pesky rib injury to slow me down.

Made the turn around in 23.13 a potential 46.26 if I could hold this pace,33.49 at Whitby Ave,I was well ahead of last weeks splits.
38.10 at Baltimore Ave it was starting to hurt now but the hell I was backing off the pace,43.16 at CPP and Cedar,fortune favours the brave and fair maiden was never won by faint heart etc etc.
46.38.2. my third fastest time and only a second off of my 46.37.8. set back in week 3 on Aug 30th.

Next week is my last crack at it b4 the Bridge Run and while the mystery rib injury of last went as soon as it came it's now been replaced by the return of that knot in my left calf that first flared up this time last year.
I thought I was done w/ that as it had been dormant for weeks but w/ 600m to go on my final 2 mile repeat on Saturday it flared up again to the point I've been icing it and wearing a compression sleeve on it,if it ain't one thing it's another as a masters runner,trust me read any masters blog and we all complain of tweaks,aches or niggles at our age,it goes w/ the territory.

2 comments:

David said...

Tweaks aches or niggles - goes with the territory - aint that the truth!

kevin f forde said...

Can I get an amen!