Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Taking A Leaf Out Of Mo's Playbook

There's a quote on Mo Farah's website that I'm guessing is his mantra "Go Hard Or Go Home"so w/ 4 weeks of hard training left b4 the Bridge Run I need to make the most of my remaining Hard Tuesday 8 milers.
Having backed off the intensity the last two weeks w/ 5th Avenue Mile and Syracuse on my schedule I elected to go for it tonite,after two less than stellar times in my last 2 hard 8 milers 49.06.3. and 49.16.3. I wanted to at least make tonite respectable.

When I opened in 3.29 I thought back to my Sept 7th run when I opened in 3.26 but fell apart over the second half of the run.....since then I've put in four 50 mile weeks on top of the three I already had and feel much stronger so I said "let's go for it"
8.14 at Baltimore Ave and 12.50 at Whitby Ave these were some fast splits,probably my fastest to date on the 6 hard 8 milers I've done.
22.37 at the turnaround a potential 45.07 which would eclipse my Aug 30th best of 46.37.8. I was a full 59 seconds ahead of that pace and feeling strong.
Granted tonite's conditions were ideal but as each week passes it's going to get a little bit milder each week,I guess a case of making hay while the sun (still) shines!!!
32.26 at Whitby Ave which is my 6 mile mark,another positive for the upcoming 10k in 5 weeks time.
36.52 at Baltimore Ave,sub 45 was a real possibility as long as I didn't tie up over the closing stages of CCP
41.55 at Cobbs Creek Parkway and Cedar Ave,thanks to a clear run and that always helpful rub of the green where traffic lights are involved I got as good a run as I could ask for home to finish in 44.57.4.

A negative split 22.37/22.20 and a 2.20 improvement on my previous best of 46.37.8. I guess I did take a leaf out of Mo Farah's playbook afterall!!
W/ another 3 hard 8 milers on schedule b4 the Bridge Run it'll be interesting to see how much more I can shave off this time,but looking at the smaller picture I now have back to back easy 6 milers and a rest day b4 Saturday's 5 mile xc race at Belmont Plateau as I look to place another piece in the jigsaw.

No comments: