Thursday, March 27, 2014

Iron Man


Having at one time set a club record for 10,000m back in 2010 and then won a National Championship at 10,000m in 2011 not to mention winning the inaugral Greater Philadelphia Track Club Track Pentathlon in 2010 I thinks it's fair to say my "Iron Man" credentials have been earnt,so running for the 9th day in a row wasn't really a stretch.....although my legs may have begged to differ!!!
I can't tell you when I last logged 9 days back to back.....but I hope it's awhile b4 I have to do it again it wasn't a planned thing more a quirke of circumstances and while I had the option of taking a well earnt rest day yesterday b4 tackling my easy/recovery 8 miler I figured feck it,run and be done w/ it and also have back to back days off b4 returning to the track on Saturday.

I feel it's a sign of where I'm at now compared to a few weeks ago when I couldn't buy a 40 mile week if I tried that I'd say to hell w/ tired legs and 36 degree and high winds and get out there rather than bag it and try again the following day,pretty much once I got out the front door I had this one"in the bag".
Dejavu from Monday 36 degrees and sunny but the wind was a constant especially along by the Schuylkill,I noticed how choppy the waves were as I passed the end of Bouthouse Row at 3 and a 1/4 miles into the run looking out across the river.
For once I didn't check the time b4 I left,this was one run I wasn't going to concern myself w/ time,pace,speed etc etc this truly was a recovery run where I just wanted to focus on putting the distance in and frankly the final 2 blocks home up Cedar Ave have seldom felt as satisfying as these two,I can enjoy an afternoon at home in the recliner today post work.

Remember last Thursday when I said I thought I'd gottena clean bill of health from my recent Biometric screening.....I may have spoken a fraction too soon.
After returning home from my easy 4 miler that afternoon the mail had arrived and w/ it the results of the previous Fridays Biometric screening while everything looked good my doctor had this to say  re my iron stores:
"Your iron stores are w/in goal,however they are on the lower end ot the spectrum I would continue to take your Iron Pills once a day and we can check them periodically"
Somewhat of a 360 from our initial conversation in January during my phyical when he suggested I could stop taking them but I'm not going to cry foul or issue "malpractice" threats,frankly adding an Iron Pill to my daily intake of vitamin B,C,D,E,Fish Oil,Calcium, and Magnesium is neither here nor there but it does lend weight to my beliefe a few weeks ago  when I was feeling sluggish on my runs that  my my iron levels were off....proof that knowing your body is clutch when it comes to preventive medicine matters

No comments: