Tuesday, March 25, 2014

You Can Run From Your Past,But You Can't Change It

"But when it comes right down to it there's no use trying to pretend,for when it gets right down to it there's no one here that's left to blame,blame it on me you can blame it on me we're just sugar mice in the rain"
Sugar Mice- Marillion
I couldn't tell you when I last ran six days in one week,muchless six days back to back......I can however tell you the last time I logged back to back 40 mile weeks last week of June,first week of July.......2012........
It was another later than usual run on Saturday it was 3pm b4 I got out the door due to logistical issues and Sunday it was 1pm due to the Spurs Southmpton game,after this Sunday I believe we're done w/ Sunday games till May 11th and the final game of the season so it'll be back to 10am 12 milers.
After the 68 degree temps on Saturday it was a bit of a shock to the system to drop down to 48 degrees.....this however didn't stop me from opting for 3/4 length shorts and short sleeves.....I did however leave my shades at home as the sun was not an issue like it was on Saturday and for a brief while along Kelly Drive I wondered if I'd pay for my bravardo as my fingers and forearms were feeeling the chill however prior to the turnaround at the 3 mile marker{three miles to Lloyd Hall and from there each 1/4 mile is marked off hence Lloyd Hall being the rurnaround for a 6 miler,the mile marker being the turnaround for an 8 miler,2 mile marker being the turnaround for a 10 miler.....etc etc}I stop noticing.....either frostbite had set in or I'd gotten used to it!!!

Like last Sunday there was a regatta out on the Schuylkill which meant added pedestrian traffic along Kelly Dr between Columbia Bridge and St Joe's Boathouse but like last week I can't say it slowed me down......far from it as it would turn out!!!
If I'd felt a little "leg weary" over the final 2 miles yesterday today I felt comfortable in my third 12 miler of the year it's become my "distance du jour" now for the Sunday long run although I was guilty of switcing off mentally over the final mile or so and figured last weeks 2.00 time wasn't on the cards.....having left at 1pm imagine my surprise to see 2.55pm on the clock when I opened my front door.....
Having opened my account at 2.07 over 12 miles on Feb 9th I've now gone 2.00 last week at 1.55 this week,clearly the effects of back to back 40 mile week training is paying off,here's to another 40 mile week this coming week.....but over 5 days if possible!

As the lyrics portray Sundays date held a certain significance it was 29 years to the day my now ex wife Erica moved to London to live w/ me b4 we got married in December.
As most of you know I struggled w/ alcoholism for a number of years b4 eventually getting sober in 88 sadly that life altering event came too late to save my  marriage and there's seldom a day that goes by when I don't kick myself for drinking my marrige to Erica away.
Just as our relationship was kind of a fairytail romance{we were pen pals who met on her visit to London in 85 and feel in love which resulted in her leaving Philly in 86 to live w/ me in London b4 we moved to Philly in 87 b4 our seperation and divorce in 88} the fact remains fairytails tend to only exsist in movies and novels and the reality was I wasn't capable of loving anyone or anything that wasn't alcohol back then,again bluring the lines of reality IF  I could turn back time and do it all differently I would,I may have been too bitter and nieve back then to think I'd regret drinking my marriage away but here we are almost 26 years later w/ world or regret,like I said you can run from your past but you can't change it......more's the pity.....

No comments: