Monday, March 3, 2014

The Manhattan Project Side One

Originally the plan was to run back to back races at The Armory to prep for Indoor Nationals and simulate the schedule in Boston,mile then 800m.....however I opted against  a trip to Beantown given the lack of form and loss of training this winter that said I still planned my mile/800m back to back races last Thursday and Friday for shits and giggles and a chance to get a few more races under my belt.....after the cock up that was my Thursday Nite @ The Races 800m on Feb 6th it was evident I needed them!!

Seeding myself at a generous 4.50 off my last indoor mile at Cornell {4.57.1} I wound up in heat 4 of 10 each heat was stacked w/ 20 runners per heat which while maybe too big 10 heats was enough to be getting on w/.
Given the #4 spot I had a decent run into the first turn,got a good reaction to the gun and got clear as we broke down the back straight,I was 4th or 5th as we came throught the opening lap in 35 seconds,I hadn't given much thought to splits pre race but 35/36 seconds per lap seemed right.
I heard 36 at 2 laps and again at 3 laps w/out ever looking up at the clock on the scoreboard by which time I'd worked my way to the front of the field,w/ hindsight I wish I'd gotten the bad start to the 800m  in this race because I had no business being up in front of the race.

I didn't check my 800m split but maybe should've checked my ego as I now suffered the humiliation of going backwards through the field,over the final 4 laps I went from 1st to 17th of 19 runners and clocked a woeful 5.02.4.............
Once again it was painfully pointed out to me that I don't have the strength and stamina over the second half of the mile right now,since Hartshorne no thanks to work and the weather my weekly mileage totals have been 40,30,10 and 8 which underlines that point only too well.
Glass half empty I brought on an arsekickin of public humiliation tonite w/ my gung ho attitude,glass half full rather than guess where I'm at at least now I know and now I can build from my weakness.

No comments: