Monday, March 31, 2014

Red Rain


In for a penny,in for a pound goes the saying so having dealt w/ the rain over the short stuff on Saturday there was little or no excuse for not taking care of businesss on Sunday over 12 miles my now traditional Sunday long run.
As has been my won't over the past several Sundays the time of my run was dictated by the time of the Spurs game yesterday being an 11am kick off hence not running till 1pm which actually served as a blessing since it was raining pretty hard between 10am and 1pm but began to ease off as I headed out the door at 1pm...the rain may have esed up the sky matched my mood......grim and gray!!!!
4.0 to Liverpool at times it looked like men vs boys out there and while it may be a tad premature to crown Liverpool champions w/ 6 weeks to go in the season it would be hard to begrudge "The Reds" their first title in 24 years.....althought I dare say Chelski and Man City fans may feel otherwise on the matter,one way or another we'll know who gets the title on Sunday May 11th.

Opted for my regular rain jacket today as oppossed to "Mr Bulky" aka my old Royal Mail waterproof jacket that I've been using in recent rain effected runs it served it's purpose keeping me relatively dry while I was out there for 12 miles out and back along the Schuylkill Banks and Kelly Dr.
Needless to say only the hard corp runners were out there today and I passed a few dozen while making my way out towards Falls Bridge,whatever race they maybe prepping for,Clear Air 5k,Boston Marathon,Broad St 10 miler in the upcoming weeks they weren't willing to allow the rain to interfere w/ their training and I'd have willingly taken my baseball cap off to salute their determination if it weren't keeping my head dry from the rain!!!!!
No regatta this week....probably a good job too as it didn't exactly seem like Rowing weather,muchless spectating weather however one group who seemed nonplus by the rain were the Geese that make their home either on the Schuylkill or it's banks as they were out in force this afternnoon as I took care of bussiness

Like last week I thought I might rue my bravardo for electing to go "sans gloves" on the run on the way out to the 6 mile turnaround I was feeling the effect of not only the rain but also the wind whipping up off the Schuylkill but also like last week I noticed after making the turnaround it stopped being an issue,maybe w/ 6 miles to go my  only focus is finishing the run!
Also somewhere between mile 6 and mile 8.5 I noticed it had actually stopped raining.....this however was short lived as by the time I reached mile 11 the heavens opened again.....cue the time honoured Monty Python quote"still I was getting used to it by then!!!"
Once again I managed to go sub 2.00 for the run w/a 1.59,it might've been closer to 1.58 but I lost a good minute at the front door trying to open the zipper on my rain jacket pocket to get my key out,hey ho!
I'm amazed that be it easy run,recovery run or long run my goal pace is always 10 min mile pace and yet over 6 miles,8 miles and 10 miles I always fall short of 60 mins,1.20,1.40 mins but yet over 12 miles where the target is 2.00 I've gone 2.00,1.55 and 1.59 in the past three weeks on my Sunday long run.........

Another 5 day/40mpw in the books my third in a row but more importantly a week w/ 2 repeats in the mix,it's be nice to get another 6 of those between this coming week and weekending May 11th as I prep for my Outdoor season opener on May 15th

No comments: