Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Little Knowledge Goes A Long Way

Running it has been said is very basic,put one foot in front of the other and repeat the process,as runners we tend to over complicate it rather than simplify it,getting from point A to point B as quick as humanly possible b4 the X's and O's begin to either bog us down or sometimes derail us.
Coming off of what was w/out doubt my best week of training where my repeats are concerned the last thing I needed were complications but one presented its self b4 I'd even left the house in the morning.

My right hamstring was a little tender,it might've been a result of the 300m/200m/300m repeats on Saturday but clearly it was not 100%
I guess working in a hospital I'm fortunate to have access to ice packs and ace bandages which helped during the day till I got home,then it was "cut bait or go sailing"?
Obviously there was a temptation to just say to hell w/ it and run but having just put in 4 consistant weeks of training I didn't want to find myself on the DL for a few days because ego took over so I remembered the advice I'd been given over the years that I'd tucked away in the knowledge bank.

Listen To What Your Body Is Telling You
Clearly the slightly hamstrung hamstring was letting me know I may have over extended myself on Saturday doing my best Usain Bolt and maybe sitting this one out was the bettter way to go.

Buy Yourself Another Day
Too often as runners we approach training w/ "tunnel vision" only concerned w/ todays training there's little or no point jepordizing tomorrow and the day/days after by being headstrong.

Less Is More
I've said it several times b4 but it bares repeating it's not in a runners DNA to subscribe to the "Less Is More" theory we just don't when sometimes we really should!!!

Act Your Age,Not Your Shoe Size
My former coach once told me,"the older you get the more susceptible you become to injury,and the longer it takes to heal so you just have to be smart about it"
Words to live by,hence my decision to take a rest day yesterday and give my hamstring the chance to heal a little along w/ the icing and wrap on it,by taking Monday as my rest day my next repreat session isn't scheduled till Wednesday now and at 4x1mile it's a lot less explosive than the 6x600m ot 8x300x200x300m repeats that may have caused the slight strain.....tomorrow as they say is another day!

PS
It's possible this is the most I've ever blogged about a non run!

PPS
As a counter point to my blog I also have to throwout the time honoured Linford Christie quote
"As an athlete you're always injured"!!!!

No comments: