Tuesday, April 22, 2014

And The Winner Is The Human Spirit

Obviously the eyes of the world were on Boston yesterday for the 118th Boston Marathon,it's the Granddaddy of all marathons  but after the atrocities of last year you felt this year it was more than "just another marathon"
This time last year I was strongly considering a fall marathon probably here in Philly in the hope I'd get a quallifying time for Boston......however my achilles flared up again and effectivly put paid to that idea and during my 2 month hiatus from training the  desire to run track found it's way back to the surface.
I haven't written off another marathon but right now I'm focused on all things track but having watched last weeks London marathon I couldn't pass up the chance to watch Boston yesterday post run.

Easy 8 miler in glorious conditions at 69 degrees,ran into my good friend Sean Harbison for the first time in eons out on the Schuylkill Banks b4 reaching the Art Museum,it was good to shoot the shit and Sean gave me an interesting tit bit re a track I might be able to use closer to home rather then schleep out to Roxborough,I'll still hit Roxborough tonite for my scheduled 6x600m repeats but will do a "recon" mission on Thursday to this new location to see if it's viable.

Post run and shower io made dinner and sat down to watch the Boston  marathon,yeah it kind of sucked already knowing the results but didn't detract from the sheer joy of seeing Meb win to give America it's first male winner in Boston since 83,my heart went out to Shalane Flanagan who ran such a gutsy race on the womens side,next year will be 30 years since an American woman last won in Boston......maybe they're due a victory.
The real winner yesterday was the human spirit,after the horrors of last year the crowds came out like they always do in Boston to lend their support to the runners,having been fortunate to have ran three Boston marathons in 91,02 and 05 I can say some of my fondest memories of my 38 year and counting running career have come on the course  from it's start in Hopkinton to it's iconic finish along Boyleston St and while those memories were tarnished last year by the actions of two dickheads yesterday proved we can't let these people win,to quote Big Papi "this is our fucking city" and be you a Boston native or just a runner /spectator on the day Boston belongs to us the runners and the running community

No comments: