Thursday, April 17, 2014

Wind Of Change

There's something quite rewarding about the recovery run,same milage but less work!
After the heavy rain on Tuesday during my repeats the clear blue sky and sun albeit at only 47 degrees came as a welcome respite although there was a noticable breeze period throughout the run but  it was obviously more in play along theSchuylkill River,as soon as I made the approach to the South St bridge I could tell was was in store for me along the Schuylkill Bank and Kelly Drive.

I hadn't given much thought to how strong the rain was while running in it on Tuesday,prefering top focus on the issue at hand but crossing the South St bridge I couldn't help but look down at the Schuylkill River below me and notice how muddy and murky it looked....more so than usual I guess the heavy rain on and off almost all day Tuesday really churned things up.
Another thing I noticed today more than in recent runs were the Cherry Blossom trees in bloom along Kelly Drive just after the Girard Ave railway bridge  at 3 and 3/4 mies into my run.
For all I know they could have been in bloom for the last week or weeks, I pass them three times a week,Mondays on my easy 8 miler,Wednesdays on my recovery 8 miler and Sunday on my 12 mile long run but untill today never really paid full attention,I guess I'm so focused on my run.
It reminds me of an old Seb Coe quote when he trained at Loughborough University back in the day
"if you're out runing and you're noticing how beautifully kept peoples front lawns are and you're noticing the licence plates on peoples cars then you're not working hard enough and if you're not working hard enough why are you out her to begin w/?"
It's a valid observation from Lord Coe and w/ 2 Olympic gold medals at 1,500m mot to mention a slew of world records at 800m,1,000m,1,500m and the mile in his prime I guess he's more than quallified to make such a statement!!!

While I won't be setting any world records any time in the near or distant future muchless Olympic golds I do hope I've turned the corner in my training,Tuesdays 36 second improvement over my 4x1 mile repeats was an indication I'm moving in the right direction,when I ran my previous 4x1 mile repeats on March 25th they were a 6 second improvement on what I'd musterd on March 15th so I feel I'm getting stronger and faster now 6 weeks into this phase of training,today marks 13 weeks till Nationals and 4 more weeks of {hopefully!!!}uninterupted training b4 my Outdoor season opener,lets hope the "Winds Of Change" continue to gust.

No comments: