Tuesday, April 28, 2015

What Do You Know? Sometimes Less Really Is More!

I almost didn't make it out the front door for my easy 8 miler yesterday,one of the drawbacks of a week off{or almost a week off since I did knock out a 8.4 mile Art Museum Loop run Saturday} is getting into that false sense of a "comfort zone" where having not ran for a week you think to yourself"do I really want to run today?"
Thankfully this was only fleeting and by the time I arrived home I was shoving those negative thoughts down my throat and humbling myself by laying on the living room floor to get my stretches in,now that I'm dealing w/ Sciatic Nerve issues in both hamstrings I'm having to do double the stretches to keep said Sciatica at arms lenght but it's a small price to pay to allow myself "another day" day in,day out.

Out the door gone 4.30pm the plan was an easy 8 miler to kick the week off,last time out on my easy 8 miler I went 1.14.02 which felt like a reasonable target to chase given for all intence and purposes I was coming off the DL {Disabled List}
Conditions were grey and overcast but 58 degrees when I set off,to be 100% honest I wasn't fixated on splits,I blew through the opening mile and it was almost an afterthought to check my watch at mile two......
28 mins plus at mile 3/Lloyd Hall {technically the 3 mile mark comes in around the Art Museum.....}b4 making the turnaround in 36.16.....1.12.32 pace if I kept this pace last time out my turnaround split was 37.27.......

I still wasn't thinking about a brisk time,the whole point of an easy run is to take it easy,there will be  time for lung busting on the Tempo run whenever I get to that this week.
W/out going "gangbusters" I did feel pretty good, a week ago I had all manner of crap on my lungs but you'd have never known it today as I was picking off miles w/ ease,once again a weeks inforced rest had become a positive rather than a negative.
Almost a year ago after eight weeks of high intence training for my outdoor season opener I pulled/strained  my right groin which while sucking like a Dyson vacuum initially proved to be a blessing as that week off allowed me to recharge my batteries to the point where every ninth week after that I took a week off,something I planned to keep in my rotation this season but between my taper for Indoor Nationals and incomplete weeks when the weather interupted my training etc I hadn't reached a point where I felt I had eight weeks of 5 day/40mpw.....till I got sick and was forced to sit out a week.......

Finished in 1.11.26 clearly lent considerable weight to that argument,my last tempo run over the same 8 mile out and back course was 1.10.12 so maybe I did need that week off,the trick now is to keep this pace and intensity up for the remainder of the week.....easier sai than done but on fresh legs....who knows?

No comments: