Monday, March 21, 2011

Weekend Update.....W/ Dennis Miller


I don't mean to start off on a rant......but....
First and foremost I want to apologize for taking three days to post but getting home at 1.30am Saturday morning having left home at 2pm Friday afternoon to sit around for 5 hours between 5.30pm and 10.30pm to run an 800m in 2 minutes 10 seconds is hard to put a positive spin on so I let the dust settle for a while and subsequently found myself not sitting at the pc till now.
While the meet in general was good one{the Frontrunners meet each March is usually well ran and well attended and generally well liked by mostly everyone who shows up to compete}my 800m race left me w/ more questions than answers at the end of my indoor season and also left me considering not only what event to run at Worlds in July but also question what events to run in future indoor Armory meets,standing around for 5 hours from 5.30pm till 10.30pm for the second year in a row did little for my pre race prep and for future meets next year I may just run the first event so as to avoid the hours of waiting around to race,w/ hindsight Friday I may've done better running the mile which went off second following the 60m,I could've been done by 8.30pm at the latest and only waited around for three hours.....!!!!
Unlike last year the heats were seeded by time not age so when the 800s were finally called I was drawn in heat 1 w/ a 2.04 seed time,in fairness I'm sure some of the 800m entrants who had entered had either ran other distances or just given up,I only recognised one of the other runners in heat one Neil Fitzgerald who had originally planned to run the 2 miles but upon seeing he was 40 seconds faster than the next runner opted to jump in the 800m which meant the 800m just got a lot faster!
I got a good reaction to the gun and from the #2 position on the line I was able to squeeze by on the rail going into the first turn and tucked in behind Neil and Michael Brown,80m in and things were going to plan...........
My friend and teammate Nick Berra mentioned in his blog after the last 800m race here on Feb 10th how younger runners tend not to know how to race,it's a mad scramble for the the turn and screech go the brakes as they slow down......
Cue a younger runner overtaking me on the back straight.....and screech went the brakes as he hit the turn.......sonofabitch!!!!any and all momentum I'd gotten in the opening 100m came to a grinding halt,w/ hindsight I should've ran right into the back of him and ran the risk of a DQ,like Nick said these kids go from JV to Olympic Trails in a nano second.
I came through 200m in 31 seconds and 400m in 33 seconds 64 seconds but after that the race got away from me,I missed my 600m split and finished 5th in a woeful 2.10.0.
Granted the 5 hour wait didn't help any but 2.10 Jesus, when I ran 2.06.0 three weeks ago w/ zero speed work but 3 400m repeats and 1 set of hill repeats in between I had some rights to expect at least a 2.04???
Overall my indoor season gets a 6/10 grade,neither of my 400s or 800s were anything to write home about, a pair of 4.33 miles but a 9.08 3,000m and a 15.47 5,000m lead me to wonder if maybe I should forget the 800m at Worlds and focus on the 5,000m?
I have two 800s scheduled in April prior to the entry deadline,if neither of them are Worlds worthy I may switch to the 5,000m......watch this space!

No comments: