Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ashes To Ashes

My mother said to get things done you better not mess w/ Major Tom
Ashes To Ashes-David Bowie

I picked up Hobbes ashes today,when he died two weeks ago the Cat Hospital offered me the chance to have him cremated,I'd never done that b4,when Calvin died 4 years ago I had the luxury of having a back yard to have him buried in,no such luck this time around so when they offered me the chance to not only have Hobbes cremated but giving me his ashes I took it,a long and dignified life{16 years,8 months,14 days}deserved a dignified end hence his ashes sitting in a nice wooden box in my bedroom.
I've known since last Friday his ashes were ready to be picked up,why I waited till today I don't know,granted the sense of closure may've come sooner but in a surreal way picking up his ashes makes his passing final,since his photo is my screen saver I see him at least twice a day but collecting his ashes was a reminder today that he's gone.....that said I do have"the little girl"to keep me company.

Cranked out another brisk 10 miler along Cobbs Creek Parkway as I get ready for Saturday's return to 5x1,000m repeats,it'll be interesting to see where this years opener stacks up against the same repeat this time last year,w/ a month to go b4 the entry deadline for Worlds now is the time to crank things up a notch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is a hard thing to pick up the ashes.....Both dogs are in the dining room.......picture is on the box.

kevin f forde said...

I guess picking up Hobbes's ashes made it very final.
Must dig out my old fridge photo of him when he was younger for his ashes box.