Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sometimes The Numbers Do Lie

In running as in life you face adversity,the question is how do you deal w/ it....this is today's story!
Arrived at Temple just after 10am for a while it looked like I'd rue my choice of running attire as the sun didn't look to be in any great hurry coming out from behind the clouds but following my 6 lap warm up I was able to throw on my sleeveless shirt and begin my weekly assault on the 8x1,000m repeats,hoping to improve on last weeks splits b4 cutting back on my recoveries from 3 mins to 2.5.

#1 1,000m 1.20-1.25-37-3.22.3.A modest start to procedures,you never want to blow the barn doors off from the get go but would like to see that 1.25 be closer to 1.20-1.22.
#2 1,000m 1.20-1.23-36-3.19.6.Alright,now we're getting somewhere.......or so I thought!

Out of nowhere a group of runners and I use the term loosely believe me showed up to do what looked like a mile time trial,I had just begun #3 of my repeats when I was asked to move to the outside of the track and had to cut from lane 1 to lane 8 coming off the turn where I conducted the next three repeats b4 running #6 and #7 in lane 4 b4 finishing up in lane 1.
It was one thing to have to yield lane 1 mid repeat but these guys were slow as molasses,I swear to God I've seen maters runners in there 60s and upwards run faster than these guys who looked to be in their 20s or 30s.
If it wasn't bad enough that the shuffling buffalo's were clogging up lane 1 and only lane 1 cos believe they were strung out like a goddamn candy neckless the "officials'' who were in charge of this whole nightmare congregated in the middle lanes on the top turn,I lost count of the times I had to either cut in or more often than not swing wide of them.....and YES Mr "Cocky Bollocks" of an ENT or whoever you were w/ your hands in your pockets giving me the evil eye each time I came around the top turn you heard me correctly.... I DID call you a F**cking C**t and NO I didn't stutter!!!!!!!!!

#3 1,000m 1.25-1.33-40-3.38.8.I'm not accustomed to running all the way out in lane 8 so maybe that's what threw me off or the anger I felt at having my repeat sabotaged by these clowns.
#4 1,000m 1.27-1.30-38-3.35.7.
#5 1,000m 1.27-1.33-42-3.44.9.
At this point it was a monumental effort to keep going as repeats #4 & #5 just flat out sucked,I guarantee had I ran them in lane 1 my times would've been light years faster.
#6 1,000m 1.26-1.31-41-3.38.4.I think the herd was thinning out now{one of these slow bastards couldn't even run a mile and walked most of his 4 laps....and I was banished from lane 1 for you???}
#7 1,000m 1.25-1.32-3.35.3.It's a black day in training when a 3.35 1,000m elicits a cheer!!
#8 1,000m 1.20-1.24-33-3.17.7.W/ the buffalo's now off to pastures new to graze I reclaimed lane 1 and ran my second fastest closing 1,000m since beginning these repeats.

It would've been all too easy after #4 & #5 to have thrown the towel in and said fuck it......but as those of you who know me can attest I'm a stubborn,headstrong,determined individual so rather than quit I kept going.....hell it gives me something to bitch about in my blog!!!!
Yes it was a frustrating repeat and frankly unnecessary but like I said in running as in life you're going to face adversity,it's how you deal w/ it that counts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a pretty good effort overall. If you ran 2.5 laps in lane 8 you probably tacked on an extra 50 meters or more. When I have a compromised workout like this one, I just say fuck the time on the watch; I put in the EFFORT and that will produce the same results when I race even if the times of my reps look awful. I love to track my efforts from workout to workout and see the progress, but as long as I did the work I know it's good.

kevin f forde said...

Thanks for the comment,all things considered I'm glad I stuck to the task of finishing off the whole repeat rather than letting it all go to hell in a hand basket,like the blog entry said it's how you deal w/ adversity that counts

David said...

Hi Kevin,

If these guys were part of some official org who had booked the track I'd give way but if they were just doing some unofficial time trial you should stand your ground - you have every right to run lane 1. Saying that, on Sat I too had a slightly similar experience! (see blog)
Keep up the good work and hope your progress for Nationals and Worlds goes well.

kevin f forde said...

Dave,
thanks for the support on the "Shuffling Buffalo's"issue,IF there's a next time I'm only moving out to lane 2 or 3,each repeat between now and Worlds/Nationals is vital and can't be wasted.
Cheers for the link to your blog,always good to have another masters runners blog to read.