Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Hope They Have Enough Guinness In Poland & Ukraine

As a man of my word I was out mid morning to get my 10 miler taken care of,I guess an upside to being low key/non plus w/ my b'day is not nursing a hangover or being bleary eyed from a night out on the town!!!
Post run I made tracks towards center city and enjoyed a venti Green Tea at Starbucks as I penned my latest diary entry and also began reading Tony Hadley's autobiography "To Cut A Long Story Short"
The plan was to read Martin Kemp's autobiography "True" next in the Spandau Ballet trilogy having read Gary Kemp's compelling "I Know This Much" first,however I'm still waiting for "True" to arrive in the mail and my brother kindly sent me "To Cut A Long Story Short" as a b'day present so I began reading that.

Spent an enjoyable afternoon at Fado's one of the Irish bars in center city watching the second leg of the Euro 2012 playoffs vs Estonia.
Having done the hard work in Tallinn on Friday beating them 4.0 tonite in Dublin was about being professional and finishing off the job which they did thanks to a 1.1 draw....or tie as my American brethren like to refer to it.
Making the finals of a major soccer tournament may come natural to the likes of Brazil,Argentina,Germany,Italy,Holland even England{most of the time!!}but for Ireland it's not something we can lay claim to all that often,I can recall in November of 87 not long after I'd gotten here that we reached the Euro 88 finals, a first and the beginning of the Golden Era of Irish soccer,Italy 90,USA 94 followed b4 a few barren years till we reached the 02 World Cup finals in Japan and South Korea.

For the past 10 years we've been nearly rans, a series of play off losses have kept us from "the big dance" but not this time,the Green Army are heading to Poland and Ukraine next summer,I'm under illusions of us winning the whole shebang although Greece managed it in 04 and Turkey went all the way to the semis in 08 so anything is possible but just getting there is a great reward for a small country w/ a limited pool of players to pick from....I just hope the powers that be have ordered enough Guinness for the thousands of paddies who are about to invade both countries to cheer on Trap's Army,we'll see who we play and where on Dec 2nd when the 4 groups get drawn.

No comments: