Friday, November 11, 2011

We Be {Road}Trippin'

Even though today was a non running day there were a few things worth blogging......
First up London was awarded the 2017 IAAF World Athletics Championships.
I'm delighted on several levels,London had the 2005 championships only to lose them during the whole new Wembley stadium yea or nay to a running track issue,once a track was voted against and the whole new running track at Pickets Lock fell through the IAAF awarded the 05 c'ships to Helsenki{again!!}
Fast forward a few years,London beat out Paris for the 2012 Olympics and the new Olympic stadium was built,but always w/ the understanding that the running track would remain something that didn't happen after the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester and while the likes of West Ham,Leyton Orient and even my beloved Spurs have all lobbied to get the Olympic stadium post 2012 I feel very strongly that London needs a state of the art running stadium,now we have one and it should remain a running stadium,don't get me wrong I love soccer but if clubs want a new stadium they should build one,Millwall and Arsenal did so why can't West Ham,Leyton Orient and Spurs?{and don't even get me started on how a North London club like Spurs could even consider moving to East London!!!}
Anyhow,while a trip home next summer for the Olympics is probably wishing thinking the prospect of a road trip for the 2017 World Championships is one worth considering.

Another road trip I won't be making next summer is to Poland and Ukraine for the 2012 European Soccer Finals but barring the mother of all collapses in Dublin on Tuesday Giovanni Trapatoni's Green & White Army{Ireland} will be there......C'mon You Boys In Green!!!
Having spanked Estonia 4.0 this evening in Tallin we are 90 mins away from our first finals in 10 years since the 2002 World Cup Finals and first Euros since 88.
I won't lie when the FAI{Football Association of Ireland} first appointed Trap as the new head coach a few years back I thought it was a mistake.....I'm man enough to say I was wrong only a blatant handball by that cheating French git Henry cost us a place in the 2010 World Cup Finals two short years ago and after the dust settles in Dublin on Tuesday it'll be interesting to see where Ireland play and against whom when the group draw gets made next month.

W/ all this to celebrate it was small wonder I went off to paint the town red{or green,or even red white and blue!!}
Being a HUGE Oasis fan back in the day I was saddened but not surprised when they broke up two years ago as Noel and Liam Gallagher's often public "sibling rivalry" came to a head and saw them call time on Oasis.
I missed Liam and his new band Beady Eye when they came to Philly in the summer in June or July w/ finances being what they were heading to both Worlds and Nationals and truth be told I thought I'd miss Noel's new band Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds as I was still pleading poverty when tickets went on sale......however thanks to a cash injection from the Bridge Run on Sunday and a tip off that there were tickets available tonite for $25 I had to have at it and got myself down to the Academy Of Music for the show.
Given Noel wrote most of the Oasis songs there was no shortage of material to accompany his debut album and a good time was had by all,if you're an Oasis fan I recommend checking out Noel's new band.

No comments: