Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wrestling W/ My Conscience

Take one part being slightly neurotic{it comes w/ the territory as a runner}add being a headstrong driven individual,sprinkle in a fair size portion on Irish catholic guilt and mix them all together and presto,the ideal ingredients for yours truly out running 7 miles in the rain this evening!!!!

Given it had pissed down w/ rain all day the prospect of running seemed remote when I left work at 3.20pm,however exiting the el and walking home the heavy rain had stopped and was replaced by a fine soft misty rain that frankly held zero threat to my aspirations of getting some miles in.
Opting to brake in my new half zip running fleece I was out the door by 4.20pm and heading towards CCP I figured a 6 miler today and then maybe 8 along the river would bring me out at 30 miles tomorrow b4 a rest day Friday and then the USATFNJ 8K XC C'ships Saturday and 12 miles Sunday.

W/in a mile of the run the rain returned,I could just picture the weather gods laughing"Forde's out running,turn the sprinklers back on!!!!" but just like Magnus Magnuson on the old tv show "Mastermind" I've started so I'll finish, I kept going.
In fairness the rain was never that bad,I've ran far longer in much worse condition and I was glad I'd opted to run rather than bullshit myself that I was "saving my legs for Saturday"
After the turnaround it dawned on me that providing I made it through Cobbs Creek Park b4 daylight faded I could not only tack on an extra mile at the end of today but follow the same route tomorrow thus giving me 4 runs at 6,10,7,7 which comes out to 30 miles and another few days avoiding the clusterfuck that is Spruce St below 36th,I won't be so lucky next week as in order to front load my mileage early in the week b4 the off road finale at Brandywine I'll have to go 10,9,8 which not only means along by the river but down Spruce St....but that's for another day.

No comments: