Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Read It In Books

A nice easy 6 miler this evening,November 1st glorious sunshine and 57 degrees,gotta love it period but when you know that this time next month you'll only be running in shades,shorts and a tshirt in your memory you have to cherish it and make the most of it.

Major weight off my shoulders today,I've had a satellite dish for over 12 years now and wouldn't be w/out it.....or so I thought till a week ago when Direct TV said as of Nov 1st they were dropping their Fox channels including Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer Plus....half of what I watch on tv is on those two channels,I couldn't imagine no Football Tonite/Sky Sports News,Fox Soccer Report,EPL games Champions League,strewth even A League Highlights not to mention if FX went bye bye no more ''Sons Of Anarchy" "Justified" ''Archer" shit this season of "Sons" is bubbling up nicely w/ 5 more episodes and to think I could lose all this didn't bare thinking about
Anyway common sense prevailed between Direct TV and Fox Corp and all my Fox channels are still on so I don't have to switch dish companies....phew!!

Been reading the Gary Kemp autobiography "I Know This Much" for the past week,that old expression "can't put the book down" applies to this book.
As a huge Spandau Ballet fan right from the start in 1980 when "To Cut A Long Story Short" was released this was always a must read book for me but aside from getting an insight to the whole New Romantic movement from it's humble roots of Billy's in Soho where Steve Strange and Rusty Egan in 78 began it's also shed light on things I never knew.
I always knew that Gary Kemp and Clare Grogan were rumoured to be seeing each other but I never knew Gary wrote most of the "True" album about her.
I also wondered how a guy from Islington North London could write such a heartfelt and poignant song about "the troubles" in Northern Ireland on "Through The Barricades" and then I read how the guy who worked for Spandau selling their merchandise was from Belfast and how he was shot and killed by a British solider.
W/ the band up to their second to last album, acrimonious brake up and nineteen years apart and bitter court cases between Gary and his former band mates still to come b4 getting back together in 2009 still to come I'm eager to read Gary's account of all this,I've already ordered "True" his Brother Martin's autobiography and will also read lead singer Tony Hadley's autobiography "To Cut A Long Story Short" to complete the Spandau trilogy.

No comments: