Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Direction,Reaction,Creation



Is happiness real?or am I jaded I can't see or feel like a man being tainted
Numbed by the effect-aware of the muse,too in touch w/ myself I light the fuse
I'm the changingman,built on shifting sands,I'm the changingman,waiting for the bang as I light a bitter fuse
Time is on loan,only ours to borrow,what I can't be today,I can be tomorrow
And the more I see the more I know,the more more I know the less I understand
I'm the changingman,built on shifting sands,I'm the changingman,waiting for the bang
to light a bitter fuse
Changingman-Paul Weller

I guess it's ironic I should site Paul Weller and "Changingman" as my unofficial anthem for the outdoor 2012 season.
This time last year I reversed my original decision to compete at 800m at Worlds when my two indoor 800s failed to yield the times I had hoped for......maybe w/ hindsight it was a knee jerk reaction but as May and June unfolded my ability to run 5,000m to the level I had the year b4{sub 16}was also brought into question,then the whole anemia issue turned my season on it's head,I ran the 5,000m at Worlds just to get an idea of what to expect when I return hopefully this time firing on all cylinders in a few years time and then turned my attention to the 10,000m at Nationals where I added the 10,000m to my 800m and 1,500m National Championship titles.

The plan was very much to focus on the 5,000m/10,000m double this year and next year b4 then dropping down to 1,500m.5,000m when I turn 50 in 2013.....however fate intervened again w/ a lackluster 3,000m at Indoor Nationals on March 16th and I made the decision to revert back to 800m/1,500m,it's really a no brainer when you think about it,800m champ three times in four years in high school,5 time National Champion at 4x800m at Outdoor Nationals,{the first of which in 06 in Charlotte was my first National Championship Golds}my first individual National Championship was at 800m in 07 in Orono.....oh yeah and then there's the small matter of our 4x800m indoor World Record in 09......

So after having the "bleedin' obvious" staring me in the face for the past 36 years since the summer of 1976 I have committed heart and soul to 800m/1,500m sofar the transition from distance running to back to middle distance running has gone well both mentally and physically,limiting myself to one long run a week w/ more emphasis on speed w/ 2 repeats and 1 tempo run plus low mileage recovery runs,once my races start to make my weekly schedule my weekly repeats will be down to 1 but w/ the emphasis still on speed,my days a sub 2 800m are probably in the rear view mirror but if I can still be competitive in the 2.03-2.06 range 800m racing promises to be fun and ultimately only help my 1,500m also.

No comments: