Monday, April 9, 2012

Goodbye,So Long,Farewell To Old Friends

"I'm surrounded by liars everywhere I turn,I'm surrounded by imposters everywhere I turn,I'm surrounded by identity crisis everywhere I turn,am I the only one to notice,I can't be the only one who's learned I don't wanna be anything other than what I've been trying to be lately,all I have to do is think of me and have peace of mind,I'm tired of looking round rooms wondering what I've gotta do or whom I'm supposed to be I don't wanna be anything other than me" I Don't Wanna Be-Gavin Degraw Sadly my browser issues meant I couldn't pay tribute to the finale of "One Tree Hill" last Wednesday as it's 187th and final episode brought to an end a successful nine year run for the teen drama based in fictious Tree Hill in North Carolina. When it first aired on Sept 23rd 2003 I wrote in my diary"this one's a keeper" and I wasn't wrong in this day and age if you get five seasons on tv you've done well looking back over the past 10/15 years it's only the likes of "Beverly Hills 90210" w/ 10 years,"Gilmore Girls" w/ 7 years and "Smallville" w/ 10 years that can boast of longevity on the networks. What set "One Tree Hill" apart from other "teen dramas" such as "The OC" and "Dawson's Creek" which didn't stay on the air as long(4 years for The OC and 6 for Dawson's Creek} for me was the fact that OTH had characters that made you want to invest in them each week,yes I watched both Dawson's Creek and The OC but not religiously,of the 187 One Tree Hill episodes I could probably count on one hand the number that I missed and thanks to all nine seasons being available on dvd and being in syndication on Soapnet I can now go back and relive each season. As the show began the basis of the storyline was the fued between the basketball playing half brothers Nathan and Lucus who had the misfortune of having Dan Scott for a father.....seriously has there ever been a more dispicable character than Dan??? Throw in a love triangle of Lucus,Peyton and Brooke....and did I mention Peyton used to be Nathan's ex and then add a little revenge as Nathen dated Haley Lucus's best friend to get back at his prevously unknown sibbling and you had all the ingredants for a great teen drama. As the seasons went by the landscape changed by the end of season one Nathan not only accepted Lucus on the Tree Hill Ravens basketball team but also as his brother,I still tear up when they share a final shoot around on the famed River Court in the final episode of season one as Lucus and his Uncle Keith prepare to leave Tree Hill and Nathan tells Lucus"I'll miss you not only because you're one hell of a basketball player....but also because you're my brother".....you'd have to have a glass eye or heart of stone not to be moved by that! One Tree Hill always seemed to be talked about as a show that could be cancelled or not renewed,it survived the UPN/WB merger in 06 and even the indignity of being a mid season replacement show in 08 {season 5} when it went against the grain of it's comtempories and after graduating high school at the end of season 4 leapt forward 4 years over college and into life post college,a ballsy move but one the loyal followers of the show seemed to endorse After seasons of back and forth w/ "will they won't they" the writers finaly gave the viewers the one storyline they'd{me included} been asking for....Lucus and Peyton together.....of course it took Lucus being stood up at the alter by Lindsay the producer of Lucus's novel "An Unkindness Of Ravens" for that to finally happen{the golden rule of good tv.always keep the audiance wanting what they want!!!} Even when Lucus and Peyton left after the season 6 finale the show continued to prosper,in this fan's humble but honest opinion it took a while for season seven to ignite but when it did Mondays at 8pm or Tuesdays at 8pm for season 8 became prime time in front of my tv. It's always sad when a favourite tv shows calls it a day,could One Tree Hill have continued?maybe but nine seasons is nothing to scoff at and at least it went out on it's own terms,that said knowing that going into a 9th and final season I wish we could've been treated to a full season of 22 episodes and not just 13 and that being the final season they could've brought Lucus and Payton back{Lucus made a brief appearance in episode 7 of the final season} After killing Dan Scott off in the 11th episode of the final season couldn't they have given him a funeral and brought not only Lucus and Peyton back but also Karen and Whitey who were so central to the first four seasons???I know I'm being picky!!! It's funny as I spend my Sunday afternoons in front of the tv watching back to back episodes on Soapnet as they're all the way back to season one I get to see the transformation of the characters,Nathan went from being a tool to becoming a great character,Brooke was a....."loose woman" to put it mildly!!! in the beginning but became less the party girl a more the wife and mother as the show evolved,I often forget how much Brooke loved Lucus in the beginning but I was always rooting for Lucus and Peyton. Dan went from being plain evil to hero when he not only found Nathan from his kidnappers in the final season but also sacrificing his life to save Nate,it's easy to paint Dan as evil but when I look back over several seasons there was a good side to Dan where Nate was involved.....three words Psycho Nanny Carrie!!!! even if she did get her revenge on Dan. Over nine years,187 episodes I've laughed and cried....often at the show that will forvever hold a special place in my heart,favourite character....Lucas....no surprise,always cheer for the underdog,side w/ the writer and marvel how he got the girl of his dreams. Favourite episode....a tough call the pilot will always rank right up there,but I think season three episode 16 when Jimmy Edwards brought a gun into the school and shot himself infront of Keith......only for Dan to pick up the gun and Kill Keith...his own brother,the show changed on that single sceen. Favoutite Line.....wow there are several "Every story needs a villian....and I'm yours" Dan Scott to Lucus "It's you when all my dreams come true the one I want next to me it's you,it's you Peyton"Lucus to Peyton after the Ravens win the state championships thanks to Lucus's buzzer beater. "People say hell is endless,they say it's our worst nightmare,the face of our darkness,but whatever it is however it is,I say hell is empty....and all our devils are here" Nathan. So there you have it my heartfelt sendofff to "One Tree Hill"

No comments: