Tuesday, June 24, 2014

It's A Knockout

Taper time.....which means taking my foot off the gas{a little} but keeping my eye{very much}on the prize.
It'll still be a 5 day week but only 30 miles this week,25 next week and then the week b4 Nationals I may just run my 800m race at Icahn on July 8th and be done w/ it,following that week I lost in early to mid May when I pulled/strained my groin I said I was looking at taking every ninth week off to allow my legs to recover.....it just so happens the week commencing on July 7th is the ninth week since I resumed training so I figured why not take it off,I'm tapering anyway?

Always a bit of a crap shot running the day b4 a race,there's a train of thought that says take a day off and be fully fresh for the race but coming off the back of a 14 mile long run on Sunday there's the other train of thought that says get any lingering gunk out of your legs b4 the race.....the quintessential damned if I do,damned if I don't I guess the tie braker is getting the week off on the right foot,it's been my experience in the past that sitting out a Monday run often sets me up for the fall for not getting my whole weeks worth of rotation in,granted I'm tapering and it's not the be all and end all of if I don't but as a creature of habbit I like things a certain way and at a time when we're getting down to the wire w/ Nationals I'd rather not entertain any changes to my routine.

To that end I was out the door by 4.20pm rather than sit at home till 6pm when the Mexico Croatia ended,yes I love soccer and lets face it the World Cup is the holiest of holies but the run comes first,as it was I got home just in time to see Mexico score their first goal so I guess the Running Gods and the Soccer Gods were looking out for me!
Easy 6 miler w/ the emphasis on easy tomorrows 800m race while not the be all and end all of my season is important period but given my knack of reducing my time each 800m race this season by 2 seconds from 2.16 to 2.14 to 2.12 means I'd like to continue that trend in New York and run a 2.10,anything quicker will be a pleasent surprize.

We're getting close to the knock out stage of the World Cup starting Saturday,Go Big Or Go Home and we're coming upto three weeks from Nationals on Thursday,like I said Eye On The Prize......

No comments: