Tuesday, June 3, 2014

On Yer Bike

It is said that"a week in politics is a long time".....in masters running it can be an eternity!!!!!
I'm still no nearer putting my finger on why last Sundays 14 miler went up in smoke but in fairness I haven't spent too much time on it.
Just as there was no rhyme or reason why my last set of mile repeats were head and shoulders above the previous ones I can't put my finger on why I bonked on my long run,as w/ the former when I didn't expand too much thought into why and just accepted it i did likewise w/ the latter,it happened,it's done w/ time to move on.......

Out the door by 11.30am on a delightfully sunny and warm June morning,I'm sure it won't be too long b4 we're bitchin' about the heat and humidity{a national past time!!!} but as I always say lets cross,burn,jump from,paint that bridge when we get there till then lets bask in the runner friendly conditions.
Aside from the nagging thought of last weeks DNF the only other concern I had going into todays trek around the Art Museum Loop was the annual Philly Bike Ride over on Kelly Dr,while the actual ride takes place on the road I wasn't sure how the bike path/running path would be w/ spectators,having survived several Regattas along the Schuylkill River I had to hope for the best and expect the worst but as it turned out I had very little to worry about save a minor section of the path between Falls Bridge and the Conrail bridge in East Falls just after halfway.

Once again West River Drive proved to be the "road less travelled" as I passed no one from the Art Museum to Falls Bridge but maybe that wasn't such a bad thing I needed to be focused on just making sure I saw today through to the finish and aided at least by a few other runners going southbound on Kelly Drive I reached Lloyd Hall and then the South St bridge,pretty much any run irrigardless of distance from 4 miles to 14 miles once I hit the South St bridge w/ less than 2 miles to go I'm confident I'll finish even if I have to dig deep and grind it out.....which I have more than once.....but not today!
2.03 which while slower than the 2.00 I ran two weeks ago was still under the 2.06 that I consider the benchmark for a 14 miler at 9 minute mile pace but the fact I finished todays run period muchless felt the need for a 4 hour nap afterwards unlike last week was victory enough,as a wise man once told me" all of lifes victories don't need to be on a grand scale" sometimes the smallest victory carries more clout.......

No comments: