Monday, June 9, 2014

Incommunicado

Sometimes it seems like I've been here b4,when I hear opportunity kicking in my door
Call it synchronicity,call it deja vu I just put my faith in destiny  it's the way that I choose
Incommunicardo- Marillion

Ah the Sunday dilemma scleep over to Widener University for the Mid Atlantic C'ships or stay closer to home and do the traditional Sunday long run to keep my wekly mileage at 40 miles per week.......decisions decisions???
In running as is in life my MO was plan b  while I would've liked the opportunity to race again the fact is it's a hike to Widener via mass transit and since nobody offered me a ride there or back I ellected to pass on the Mid Atlantic C'ships having just competed in the New York C'ships on Thursday......what can I say in a former life and maybe in a future life I'm coming back as a New Yorker??????

Out the door by 10.30am it was already shaping up to being a warm one,maybe the warmest Sunday long run I've done this year but w/ Nationals coming up in North Carolina maybe it's good practise.....if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen??
Early on into the run I was hoping my pre run meal of beans on toast wasn't about to make an unwelcome return....thankfully it didn't but the warning signs were there after 2 miles of the run and maybe that coupled w/ the heat was why I didn't feel I was pushing the early pace of what is essentially a 9 minute mile run anyway.
Keeping in mind my dramatic bonk from two weeks ago and not feeling 100% confident  that beans on toast wasn't about to become beans on toast on the path I didn't get gung ho along West River Drive,two weeks ago I passed five runners between the Art Museum and Columbia bridge b4 crapping out on Kelly Drive so I eased my way passed the two runners I had ahead of me b4 Girard Ave bridge and didn't see anyone else ahead of me till I crossed Falls Bridge and began to head south along Kelly Dr.

While West River Dr tends to be bereft of other runners it does provide ample shade which on a day like yesterday was clutch and  while it's about to get hotter as the summer goes by after June 22nd it won't be an isue till July27th as I 'll be tapering for Nationals but rest assured post Nationals the Sunday long run at 14 miles will be very much a part of my weekly mileage.
A few weeks ago I was asked by a friend of mine who's more of a recreational runner what I think about when I'm out running,the simple answer is one of two things.....running or nothing at all!!
When you're out there for just over two hours you can either tune out altogether,focus on running related matters or both which is pretty much how yestereday went down,I mentally wrote out my upcoming weeks training schedule and also figured out my pre Nationals taper which begins on June 23rd I also took the two hours to free my mind of some of the negative thoughts that have been taking up space between my ears of late.

2.08 a few minutes down on the 2.06 I clocked last week but lets face it they're not giving out medals for Sunday long runs and to once again take a quote from Seb Coe's autobigraphy "Running My Life"
Training is not about running quicker,it's about running smarter..........

No comments: