Monday, June 23, 2014

Heartbreaker

Final Sunday long run over 14 miles till July 27th,I'm looking at 8 and 6 milers now for the next two weeks as my taper goes into effect tomorrow.
Out the door by 10.30am,conditions seemed better today at 74 degrees than the last two Sundays when I felt I had to dig deep and grind it out over the closing miles in the heat.

Maybe it was the slightly cooler conditions,maybe it was desire to get done ASAP to catch the Belgium Russia World Cup game at 12pm or maybe unlike the last two weeks when mentally I've "tuned out" on the long run but today I was focused and feeling "in the zone"
For a 2 mile stretch along West River Drive after the Art Museum and b4 Columbia Bridge I had the tailend of the Philly Triathlon going on,I'm guessing they finished w/ a 10k run,more power to you ladies and gentlemen I admire your guts.
W/ the die now cast re Nationals I took full advantage of the two hours I had to myself to begin to "visualize" my races and maybe that explains why I felt I was clipping off miles at a steady rate of knots.

2.03 to round out the last six weeks of 14 milers at:2.00 2.03 2.06 2.08 2.08 and 2.03 plus my one DNF on May 25th the day after my last 8x300x200x300m repeat.....no such worries today!!!
From here on in it's all taper now I believe I've put the work in since March 10th when I kicked my training up a notch and all I can hope is I've done enough to get myself on the podium in both the 800m and 1,500m.
At least w/ the World Cup still on going till July 13th I have a distraction to keep me from obsessing about Nationals 24/7 but I must confess yesterday gut wrenching draw w/ Portugal at the death was a tough pill to swallow but that is why we watch I guess I'm confident the USA will advance into the knock out phase come Thursday.....at least I have three days of running to keep my mind off the Football!!!

No comments: