Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tinkering W/ The 800m

2.12.58 not what I was hoping for but then again I didn't expect to come through the opening 400m in 62 seconds either!!!!!!
Drawn in heat three of the 800m where the seeding began at 2.07 I seeded myself at 2.10 hoping to continue the trend of taking two seconds off my previous 800m time as I had done all season.
I lined up 2nd from the rail as 10 of us toed the starting line and once again I got a good reaction to the gun and got a clear run into the first turn and worked my way up to third.

W/ hindsight maybe lining up closer to the outside might've been better,when you've got  eight other runners trying to get over into the inside lane/lanes there's an urgency to get out quick to avoid being boxed in which probably resulted in my tucking in behind the two leaders as we headed down the back straight.
Coming up the home straight I got passed on my outside by a runner who cut in front of me a tad too quickly as we went through the bell in 62 seconds.
A tad richer than I planned,I was thinking 64/66 or 65/65 for 2.10 but as I always say "the genie's out of the bottle now"
Again w/ hindsight I wish I put my arm out when the kid overtook me for third he pretty much forced me to come to complete standstill rather than clatter into him,I've experinced these problems indoors over 800m but it's been a while since that's happened outdoors,one of these days my Inner Ovett is going to rise to the top and I'm going to get quote " a bit useful w/ my elbows" to hold my ground if need be.

Fourth down the back straight w/ very little between us w/ 200m to I tried to kick for home but that opening lap of 62 seconds had been a bit too rich for my pagan blood and it just wasn't there as I battled valiantly w/ the runner for third around the turn and up the home straight.
Fourth in 2.12.58 a 62-70 split which is far from text book but I went for broke and came up short it happens.
2.08 won,2.10 second 2.12.1 got third,all younger guys than me and I dare say the six other runner I beat were younger also.....I may have lost the race but I'm not ready for my dressing gown and slippers just yet thank you very much!!!
Clearly 62 seconds was too rich for my blood,it wasn't my plan but how often have I stood on a starting line w/ a race pan in mind only for it to go out the window as soon as the gun went off????

Two weeks from now I have another 800m race,I'll seed myself at 2.10 again and hope I execute my race plan a little more economically because the next 800m race is Nationals........so no pressure to get it right......YEAH RIGHT!!!!!
Live by the sword,die by the sword but live to fight another day,there's still life in the old boy just yet trust me!

No comments: