Friday, October 9, 2015

Flesh Weak,Spirit Willing

I could've been forgiven{although probably not by myself} for blowing off last nites 12 miler given how tired I felt,the fact I probably read the same page over and over again of the Paolo Hewitt book " Getting High,The Adventures Of Oasis" on the Subway and Trolley ride home underlined how tired I was.
Yes through my own admission I've burnt the proverbial candle at both ends a little this week which I say as an observation more than a criticism cos I've had fun doing so......but in addition to that yesterday also marked day 6 of a 7 day stretch of not only 9 hours days{which is the norm for me} but w/out a lunch hour which has meant no chance of a nap or a sly 40 winks,a kip,a little shut eye etc so on top of being balls arsed tired I now faced a 12 miler since I want my proverbial cake and eat it this weekend.

W/ a wedding to attend on Saturday I would rather have Sunday free to relax afterwards rather than up sticks and rush home to take care of my 14 mile long run....so in order to"have my {wedding} cake and eat it too" I needed to take care of Saturdays 12 miler last nite to leave Saturday free for the 14 miler pre wedding.....ah yes ever the Boy Scout"dib dib dib be prepared"....
The only fly in the ointment was being balls arsed tired yesterday however it's more often than not the case that the hardest step is the one out the door,once you've gotten that under your belt you're home free.....it's getting out the door that's the trick.....
I was aided and abetted in this by Ireland's  historic 1.0 win over World Champions Germany in Dublin.....frankly if that didn't light a fire under me nothing would  and this proud paddy was out the door w/ a song in his heart,a smile on his face and a considerable skip in his step!!!

A day after I gleefully reported Peco Tower had started displaying the temprature again along w/ the time yesterday they didn't but it was another warm pleasent evening,w/ the clocks going back at the end of the month I,m trying to make the most of these "Indian Summer Evenings" b4 we lose Daylight Savings Time and I start finishing my runs in the dark.
Made the turn  about half a mile from Falls Bridge and began the inbound leg I felt comfortable throughout the run as week four of my Off Season 55mpw finds me feeling pretty strong in the legs,the true test will come next Sunday over 5k in Saratoga Springs for the Masters 5K XC C'ships to see where my speed is at,I'm looking forward to returning to the realm of 8,8,14 on the roads w/ 4 and 6 mile repeats on the track beginning on Oct 26th the leg turnover my not be there just yet but trust me the wheels are turning in my head as I start to map out my 2016 track season.

Home just after 6.30pm suitably "cream crackered" but secure in the knowledge I was now only a long run away from my 55mpw tally for the third week in four,the road is long,the price is high......but the rewards could be plentiful if my body can match my hearts desire

No comments: