Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Trifle Not W/ Tired{And Slightly Pissed Off} Tigers!!!!

In an old shoe box somewhere is an old "Calvin & Hobbes" comic strip that I saved way back when.
In frame one Hobbes is sound asleep,frame two Calvin comes along and pulls his whiskers,in frame three Hobbes batters Calvin and in the final frame Calvin staggers away somewhat the worse for wear saying "triffle not w/ tired Tigers".....
Substitute midly pissed off for tired and you have my mindset going into last nites 10 miler......

I'm not going off on one on work....we all have war stories where the job is concerned,heck I could be flippin' burgers,slingin' hash or pickin' fly shit out of pepper for a living but I'm not THAT said I don't have to take it lying down when seemingly reasonable normal human beings act like complete knob heads/bellends and give off an "hooray for me fuck everyone else" attitude that screws it for the rest of us and make my day a lot harder.
I was recently asked what some of my "pet peeves" are.....Stupidity ranks right near the top,as a wise man once told me"it's not a crime to be stupid...just don't abuse then privilege"......

If Mondays 10 miler had been about the sheer joy of running yesterday was about getting rid of the angst,anger and resentments from work and upto just b4 the 9 mile mark it had done just that although the fuse may have been lit just b4 mile 8........
While it had been an easy run I found myself picking up my pace along the Schuylkill Banks heading back towards the Schuylkill footpath and South St bridge to the point when I overtook another runner just b4 Market St said runner seemed to take exception to this and was now hard on my heals breathing down my neck........you wanna dance fucker??? lets dance!!!! he was soon dispatched like a bad habit only to be replaced w/ by another runner along the footpath who thought he could could "hang w/ the kid".......dream on!!!!
It was nice to know I had that change of pace after 8 miles,the bigger test will be next Sunday at Saratoga in the Masters 5K XC C'ships but we'll cross,burn,paint,jump that bridge when the time comes.....

Crossing South St bridge I felt I could "shut it down" now over the final 1.5 mile and hit cruise control......however that mindset was about to be turned on it's head and how.........
Approaching the junction of 34th & Spruce St looked up and saw the white stick figure on the traffic lights indicating I had the right of way so I continued my forward trajectory.........
Half way across 34th St here comes Asia's answer to Lance Armstrong not only blowing through the red light but w/ a full head of steam like he's trying to seperate himeself from the chase pack.... I braced myself for impact and hoped for the best.......
Between my body swerve and his ability to swing wide of me we avoided impact.......this however did NOT  stop the words " you slant eyed coconut*" reverberate off the buildings on that corner
*coconut is a polite word for him....a four letter word that like Coconut starts w/ a C and ends w/ a T.........capisce???!!!!!

The drama however did not end there....far from it! '' Asian Lance" now heads up Spruce St feet away from me as I pounded the sidewalk{pavement for my English/Irish readers!} on Spruce St no hint of remorse for almost clatterring into me.....I maybe a few weeks removed from any speed work but   I amazed myself w/ the ease in which my knee lift and leg turn over carried me.......NEVER underestimate the power of having ones IRISH up.....
Now for the final insult "Asian Lance" now cuts off Spruce St onto the pathway that cuts through Penn campus at 36th St.......right in front of me............
Believe me when I say I swung my right foot at his back wheel hoping to make contact.....sadly I was a tad more Harry Kane than Christian Ericksen and just missed by inches which lead to a "gertcha you slant eyed coconut" as he got the full daggers effect as I continued up Spruce St,had I made contact w/ his back wheel I feel it's safe to say "Claret was imminent" and NOT mine.......but to keep things in prespective as I continued up Spruce St who's riding towards me on the sidewalk.....a Philly Bike Cop.......try explaining that one to the judge that I went all Bruce Lee on Bruce Lee for blowing through a red light 90 seconds earlier.....

Mercifully the final mile was incident free and I'm 20 miles deep into my 55 mile target for week 4 of my off season training,here's to an incident free 9 miler tonite period but since it's date nite I could do w/out the drama!

No comments: