Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Four Words That Sum It All Up

B4 I go into depth and detail about my individual races last weekend at Nationals I wanted to share some overall thoughts on Sacramento 10.
I've often likened Outdoor Nationals to"track camp for grown ups"and the fact that thanks my achilles injury last year I was unable to go to Oshkosh made my 5 days in Sacramento that much more enjoyable.

Sadly the heat and lack of shade made watching other races this year difficult,one of the things I've enjoyed at Charlotte 06,Orono 07 and Spokane 08 was watching my friends Sid Howard,Frank Condon and Nolan Shaheed run their races,this year I sought the limited shade until I was due to report to the clerk tent 10 mins b4 each race,lets hope next year at Worlds there'll be more shade.

Aside from my personal highlights I want to give a shout out to my good friend and Celtic brother Sean Harbison for his break through performance in the 800m heat shaving seconds off his 800m pr to advance to the final and help Greater Philadelphia Track Club make up three of the eight finalists,no mean feat if I say so myself.

On the subject of my club,we only sent 8 athletes to Sacramento and yet we scored 77 points,kudos to Chuck,Sean,Mark,Joel,Nick,Bob and Cheryl for all their performances"the little engine that could"indeed.

Two final thoughts,thank you to all the fellow athletes who came up to me on Sunday and congratulated me on my races,it's flattering to know my fellow athletes appreciated my"leave it all out there on the track" approach to racing,in running as is in life w/ me it's all or nothing.
As is my won't upon my return home to Philly the first person I called was my mother Eileen,asides from being my #1 fan she's provided emotional and financial support for me the last few years as I've chased my dream of National titles and medals so when the final thing she said on Tuesday was"I'm proud of you" it made the seven months of hard work all worth while.

Beginning tomorrow a race by race account of Sacramento 10 kicking off w/ the 5,000m.

No comments: